Town of Somerset wind symposium!!!

Thats what you,and most reasonable people would surmise. Unfortunately, we are dealing with "smiling coyotes"(thats a term I've coined for the way they present to us), they are cash grabbers. The reason the Somerset plant was built there, in that location, was it was a short run to real deep water. Makes NO sense to consider putting them there, for any reason. Not to mention, losing a great piece of fishing water to an artificial eyesore.

This is insane and it should be a lot more than just lake front owners and fishermen getting upset. Sailors and naturalists as well not to mention anyone who wants to preserve our Great Lakes. There are hundreds and hundreds of cheap acres all in Niagara and Orleans counties that are underdeveloped. Give me one example of where this worked ........the real estate is finally coming back out there .........what are the towns going to do when the lake home values plummet and their tax base erodes to nothing? Who the heck wants to pay 8K in taxes to what a sunset through a bunch of pulsating blades? Another stupid move by NYS........about as stupid as using our tax money to put trailers outside of prisons so the inmates can have conjugal visits. Look it up ......its true........800K for two trailers in Romulus.

I will be there ............we need to be heard. Enough is enough.

Flanman

Vince--

Not only should we be opposed to windmills in Lake Ontario, we should also be opposed to landbased windmills blocking access-views and our overall enjoyment of any of the great lakes. Once the novelty wears off, reality sets in and it will be an ugly one. The thought of any windmills on the great lakes should sicken everyone (that includes you Canada-please re-think).

Know you'll do a good job Tuesday--please keep up your good work on this and other matters.

Dick C.

Well, the "smiling coyotes" were out in force. First, it was the Somerset Town supervisor, stating that he wanted his area to become self sufficient utilizing clean, renewable energy. It was apparent that many in the room were there to learn about do-it-yourself windmill projects, and didn't grasp the scope of the NYPA presentation. The glossy, recently adjusted presentation was delivered in a giddy, misleading fashion. Yes, my blood was boiling, and after the very first oppositional comment by forum member "Flanman"(which was excellent), they moved quickly to move on to the next presenter. I wasn't having it, and reminded NYPA presenters that it was once thought to be a good idea to build the seaway and sanitary canal. The presenter walked herself into this by saying we had more to worry about with asian carp, than the introduction of windmills into the GreatLakes. I finished up by stating that although a few short term jobs may or not be created for local people, long term "bread-n-butter" tourism could be significantly impacted. They have no way to measure the losses should tourists choose to spend their hard earned dollars in areas where they don't have to stare at "monstrosities" while on vacation. Her response? "um, I think there are boats in Denmark charging $3,000. to take people out in the water to see the windmills!" :lol: Are you sh#@&%g me?!!!!!

This isn't going to go away easy. There were mostly neutral people in the room, and the presentation was done in a way that suggests this is a done deal, just a question as to where. She indicated the favorable locations in L.O. were East of Oswego, Rochester, and the Niagara Bar. Please attend all of these meetings you can, and be heard. The squeaky wheel will get the grease, and the silent will get nightmarish obstacles in the Greatest Lakes in the world.

maybe they should mount them at the top of the Niagra falls , then the could raise the entry fee to only 1000.00 bucks and people wouldnt have to go on a boat to view the beauty of a great big windmill geese they could save thousands (viewers flocking to the windmills) and while they were staring at the great big blades,they might notice one of the seven wonders of the world for free..not to mention the power grid is nearby to tap in to. Then they could get all the FREE stimulass (stickit in our a@# ) money avaialable .look how great our highways are already from this superfund and the millions of new jobs created sence its passing.......heck i bet one or two could be mounted on that big stack at summerset to make it more pleasing to the eye to help offset the one or two jobs lost when they close that plant...Oh yea were heading in the right direction,,Just ask Patterson,then we could close all the state launches and still offset the piddly income from the 10,000.00 fishermen who spend a few bucks a year chasing a stupid fish, then they could close all the hatcheries cause the fish could sustain a healty population ,saving New York City er i mean state millions on those hatcheries and only loose 2 or 3 more jobs in the same swipe of the pen.. Im shure people would be lining up at the docks for a 3000.00 charter to view them and you could sleep in in the morning and save another 5 or 10 bucks on those silly spoons rods and reels, fisfinders and that fishy stuff ..Im shure if we quite buying all thst unneeded tackle on the great lakes only 1 or 2 more jobs would be lost with Billions of new income who cares...

We have these monsters in Lackawanna and they were going to put more up but then the taxes thing came up. So our "Power" authority guys came up with this scheme to screw the local taxpaying property owners and the local jurisdictions out of their possible income. The non taxpaying power guys will use New York State's Bonds to pay for putting these things up on non taxpaying under water lands owned by New York State. You see how desparate NY has become with speeding tickets being handed out by the millions daily so why not hijack this alleged source of possible revenues to keep Albany and its "Black Hole" budget solvent enough to cash their paychecks.

It will be interesting to see how the politicians respond when they shut down the Somerset Power Plant and its local taxes disappear.