pike leaders

Ok first Pike season is not open yet.

After May 1st I use 30lb suffix braid and 30lb steel leaders. I like the wire claps not the ones with folded over sheet metal. The leader will affect the bait if the clasp is to big for the size of bait. Use bigger baits!

Where are you fishing?

I caught them but throw back, was'nt targeting them.

thanks for answer, I was under the impression, steel leader spook them .

catch 22, no leader, more bites, leader, less bites, less breakoff.

I was gonna try 40-50- pnd flouro too see if that prevents break off.

I used to fish musky in st clair for years. we used 100 pound mono for leader.

broke off only a handful.

I just bought this stuff Berkley nylon coated wire 15lb. I can tye it like mono.

will let yous know if it breaks or not. be fishing the next 3 days.

To ease everyone, this is a pRIVATE POND 5 ACRES.

THE PIKE WERE STOCKED 30 + YEARS AGO BY MY GRANDFATHER. OK?

sorry mike didn't mean to imply you were jumping on him, i just don't liek when someone asks a question and the first thing someone says is that the season is closed...i know lake champlain is open year round...i tend to always catch a few big girls when fishing with boards early in the season...although i do throw them back to so i can catch them come ice fishing though

Fishing for warmwater types (bass, walleyes, etc.), I often lose some beautiful Esox family members (and maybe even salmonids, if I'm on the fingerlakes) to their teeth. I went to Bass Pro Shops in Auburn and foung a thin diameter plastic-like coated, steel leader material called Tyger Wire (available on line, as well). Also, Cortland makes the same stuff, about 20% cheaper, right there next to the other product. Available in 15 or 20lb. test at BPS.... I sprung for the the locally made stuff, of course! It's in the aisle with the bobbers, not the wall with lines. Can't wait to try it!

panfisher

I dont think a simple referance to the season should be misconscrewed as jumping down his throat. I also offered my 2 cents on the subject and made no accusations as to his behavior. This is a good topic and we have some intelligent conversation on the matter. Many people are switching to fluorocarbon due to the low visibilty. I use it for Musky but have not for pike because I use smaller baits and I am not confident in the smaller diameter fluoro. Good to hear what others are using. Thanks for the post.