Dow Scrubbing Bubbles on your hull??

Gotta Bite

A friend of mine hear got a tip from a fellow boater that using Dow scrubbing bubbles like you use in your bathroom will remove and scum lines or stains on your boat? I am afraid it may remove more than that. Has anyone tried this and does it work? Any damage to the boats finish from using it. Please let me know. Thanks.

not sure about scrubbing bubbles but theres a product called slimy grimy, that works great with no other ill effects. It takes all the scum lines off your hull and it even works good on the tough algae that builds if you leave your boat in the water.

GB,

I use Mary Kate On-Off hull cleaner every fall which is an acid cleaner and it doesn't do any damage to my hull yet it takes off every stain imaginable. It's a mild acid which can eat away your driveway, your hands and your boat trailer however it's never done any damage to my hull or my gel coat.

I can't imagine Dow Scrubbing bubbles being anywhere near this strong so I can't see it doing any damage to your gel coat if it doesn't do any damage to a fiberglass bathtub or your porcelan can.......

Good luck,

- Chris

You talk about Gel Coat which means fiberglass - will these work on lauminum hulls as well??

Not sure if oxalic acid works for aluminum, but I clean the aluminum on my truck with a mineral acid solution, phosphoric works too but be careful not to leave it on the metal more than a few minutes, after it starts foaming and looking a bit frothy, flush it off with high pressure water hose. Mineral acid will remove oxidation from aluminum and brighten it. I wonder too if high grain vinegar would work and be less abusive to the metal. White "Shelf" vinegar from stores is 50 grain or 5% acid, if ya got a way of getting 150 grain (15%+) or higher I'm sure that would work. I used that for cleaning a lot of different things, but wear gloves.

Mark

• 7 years later...

I'm new here,so sorry if my question has been answered somewhere already in the forums.  Where can I buy Slimy Grimy in Ontario I looked all over and cant find it anywhere. Amazon is not shipping to Canada. I would like to know if someone else in Ontario has actually bought it at a store here and what location

Edited by Sam Smith
add info

Local High Pressure car wash and $10 worth of quarters...might have to scrub the zebra mussels off the outdrive...or use Clorox & water, 50/50 and 104 F hot water...kills 'em outright. Touch up anti-fouling paint where needed.

Cheers, DocWet

22 hours ago, Sam Smith said:

Not shipping to Canada. I would like to know if someone else in Ontario has actually bought it at a store here and what location

F**k that **** @ $ 28.00/ lb...who needs it...Use high pressure Car wash & quarters.

• 2 months later...

for the gel coat Soft Scurb is the way to go. It cleans and removes stains like Blood, Urine, Beer and Tomato sauce.

I usually wash the boat after every trip and before covering it for winter and uncovering it for spring.

I wax it a dozen times a year. 

Need to get a Big Ass industrial Porta Grinder with the sheep wool bonnett to buff it out. 

The cheapo automobile oscillating buffers don't work for ****.

Also need People to help me wash & wax on Wax off. if you want to help and go fishing.

You’ve got way to much time on your hands if your polishing and waxing your boat 12 times a year, depending on size,:lol: I use the harbor freight oscillating variable speed polisher/wax with the 7”pads takes me 2-3 days depending on oxidation, I keep her covered when not in use, just laugh when the Chinese piece of shyt quits and plug another one in. They cost on sale like $39.00 a piece, I usually get 2 seasons out of a one, if the dump sooner take em back.

I bought that Harbor Frieght Oscillating Piece of Crap when they put them on sale for $30.  Its OK for buffing auto paint, but for Fiberglass you need to get some real heavy duty heat and power to buff the carnuba wax into the gelcoat. 

When you buy a $130,000. boat you need to maintain your investment. 

I would have guys washing/waxing it every single day if they would like to go fishing.

Annie C. Maguire 1886.JPG