life preserver law

Hi, Will someone please update me on the new life preserver law I have heard about ?

?I understand it is from NOV through and including May 1. I understand a life preserver must be worn while the boat is moving anyway(motoring/drifting). Do you have to wear a preserver while anchored ? Any info on this new law would be appreciated as I am going to lake Ontario this coming weekend and want to stay legal at all times. Thanks in advance

Tho its a good idea AND LAW its guys like those 2 drunk kids last week in canadauga that drowned last week that we all gotta pay...May God be with their family and souls.... :(

and if i was there i would of gone in after them i cant imagine the whole situation.... ;(

It is a good law. Think of it this way, so you will not be rescued alive, but authorities will find your remains faster. Your wife, children and her new boyfriend will be able to spend your life insurance proceeds faster.

I think the reasoning behind the 21' boat size is, the bigger boats, typically with I/O or IB power are put away for the winter between November and May, so the boats mostly being used during the winter months are smaller, open, OB powered boats with relative low freeboard, so the law is designed around the boats typically being used that time of year.

Tim