Registration Fees for your trailer

I got my registration renewal in the mail for my trailer and just looking at it now and it has gone up 16.00 bucks from last year. I have dual axel trailer for 22 FT Sea Ray, they want 80.75 for 1 year when I pay 65 for my truck for 2 years. What is wrong with this state, anyone elses go UP? Just needed to rant, this crap is getting ridiculous they just keep taking and taking. May be time to move as I don't see it getting any better since the state is bankrupted. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about letting the state know how we feel, maybe try and get local News station to do a story.

Gregg

Make sure you pay the pro-rated registration fee. It's less the later in the year you do it. Mine's a 22' Penn Yan with a tandem axle trailer. Maybe make sure your registered for a proper weight for the rig. My registration is $54 for the year for 4750 pounds, paid $40.75 on April 1.

Just looked at my unemployment tax bill on my paychex invoice and noticed NYS charges a surcharge on my unemployment tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is that "tea-party" sign-up sheet?

Your trailor has brakes on it so make sure there in good order before you go to DMV. It needs to be inspected and pass test before they will give you a sticker that says void across it. This great state of ours going to suck us sportsman dry.

Hey Patterson :devil::no::devil::no::devil:

They pro-rated mine on-line. Small trailer, but they knocked it down from $21.50 to $18. I submitted on a Friday after work & had it in the mail on Wed. (Guess they didn't have anything to do that day?)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

going again you could save a ton of money buy registering in pa i just paid mine for 5 year at 30.00 thats for a 250 sportcraft. Sorry for you guys in ny but i will still come fishing and pay your fishing lic.

They don't Pro-rate if you renew on line. Only if you go into DMV :@

yes they do, i haven't registered a trailer at a DMV in at least 7 or 8 years, always wait til a couple weeks before I plan on splashing and the online registration is always prorated.

Tim

Trailer registration is cheap here in PA but they have found a new way to get more money out of us anyway. Our governor is just as much of a spendthift as NY's. Now the tow vehicle has to have a weight class license that covers the weight of the trailer and tow vehicle. My pickup license just went from $84. a year to $256 per year. I know the law at present doesn't include camper trailers but boat trailers are not specifically excluded. I pull an equipment trailer with my truck in the off season so I'm stuck paying the higher license fee. Everyday on my travels I see at least one pickup type vehicle with a trailer being inspected and more than likely fined.(Minimum fine is $350) Most people here don't even know about the law change.

High Bidder

going again you could save a ton of money buy registering in pa i just paid mine for 5 year at 30.00 thats for a 250 sportcraft. Sorry for you guys in ny but i will still come fishing and pay your fishing lic.

I just renewed mine for the 5 year deal, as well. And, despite the increase in the out-of-state NY license, I gladly paid it. Guess it all balances out somewhere.

Trailer registration is cheap here in PA but they have found a new way to get more money out of us anyway. Our governor is just as much of a spendthift as NY's. Now the tow vehicle has to have a weight class license that covers the weight of the trailer and tow vehicle. My pickup license just went from $84. a year to $256 per year. I know the law at present doesn't include camper trailers but boat trailers are not specifically excluded. I pull an equipment trailer with my truck in the off season so I'm stuck paying the higher license fee. Everyday on my travels I see at least one pickup type vehicle with a trailer being inspected and more than likely fined.(Minimum fine is $350) Most people here don't even know about the law change.

High Bidder

Is there some documentation online to read about this? My Expedition is classified as a station wagon in PA, and does not meet the requirements for a weight-class sticker on the windshield. Any ideas if this new law will affect the SUV's, as well?

I tried researching it in the PA website but the law is confusing as to whether it applies to large trucks or any commercial truck or to any truck. It will not affect any vehicle registered as a car, Station wagon or RV. The law was originally meant for large trucks but is now being applied to smaller trucks towing a "commercial trailer". ie hauling compact tractors, skidloaders etc. I guess I'll get the whole picture when I am pulled over by the DOT police. As for the law being applied to boat trailers is still unclear. It shouldn't because I would consider a boat an RV vehicle. I still haven't found a full explanation of the law. Most of my information is from other contractors and the local trailer repair shop.

High Bidder

Wait until you get your next truck registration. It went up also. Mine is now $120.00. There is a $20.00 user tax now to register vehicles. Good old govener Patterson.

The USE TAX on registrations is only Monroe County. My brother just renewed his registration and at the same time changed his address to his appartment in Wayne County. When the fee didn't match the renewal he asked why and they said, the use tax is Monroe County only. Thankfully I moved to Wayne County as well

Trust me I do not care for Patterson but that one is Monroe County officials, think of that next time on the vote

Does anyone know how to register a trailer in Maine? They have 10 year plates and are cheaper.

http://www.mainetrailer.com/registrations.html

I tried researching it in the PA website but the law is confusing as to whether it applies to large trucks or any commercial truck or to any truck. It will not affect any vehicle registered as a car, Station wagon or RV. The law was originally meant for large trucks but is now being applied to smaller trucks towing a "commercial trailer". ie hauling compact tractors, skidloaders etc. I guess I'll get the whole picture when I am pulled over by the DOT police. As for the law being applied to boat trailers is still unclear. It shouldn't because I would consider a boat an RV vehicle. I still haven't found a full explanation of the law. Most of my information is from other contractors and the local trailer repair shop.

High Bidder

Thanks. Definitely a topic worth watching for us Pennsylvanians.

Misty IV, I found the whole answer today. The new law only applies to trailers with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. So unless you have a really big boat you don't have to worry.

These changes were part of the same new legislation that dealt with farm vehicles and a lower weight requirement for a CDL license.

High Bidder

Misty IV, I found the whole answer today. The new law only applies to trailers with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. So unless you have a really big boat you don't have to worry.

These changes were part of the same new legislation that dealt with farm vehicles and a lower weight requirement for a CDL license.

High Bidder

Thanks for the legwork, High Bidder. Nice to know majority of us won't be affected by it!

NY Residents can register their trailers in Maine. I paid $80 for a 5 year registration for my trailer that holds my 26' Penn Yan. NY wanted $65 a year...rediculous. You still have to inspect it in NY but registering the trailer in Maine saved me alot of dough-ray-me. PM me if you want contact info.

Dr. Lou