Tagged Steelhead Reports

Hi all,

Our association, the Credit River Anglers Assocition, has been tagging wild steelhead from the Credit River for the past decade in Mississauga, Ontario.

Over the past ten years 75% of the tagged fish reports from Lake Ontario have come from NY anglers, with most reports between Olcott and Rochester. Perhaps some of you have seen or caught our tagged bows.

9i4pr.jpg

If you catch a tagged fish or hear about one please report it to our group via to internet.

http://www.craa.on.ca

Click the report a tag icon.

I would also ask that you consider releasing the fish once you have noted the tag number and some basic info about the fish. Sadly the harvest rate for reported fish in the lake is over 90%. If you release the fish please leave the tag in the fish. Hopefully we see him or her back for another spawn. This year we had our first fish on its 5th spawning run! We have a couple each year on a fourth run and 10-20 captured each year for a third trip to spawn. This year we also had a fish that was caught in the lake in summer 2009 in 300 fow of Port Hope that was released and came back to the fish ladder in early April 2010! Very cool. :clap:

All this work on the Credit River is done by volunteers, with minimal help from the MNR. Our MNR have no money so much of this work and stocking falls to volunteer groups on the north shore these days.

The tagged bows are wild fish from the Credit River and have not only been lifted by us at the Streetsville fishway, but also transported by truck past two more dams and released into a pristine tribuatry of the Credit River. This program has increased juvenile steelhead counts by over 700% in the five years since we started.

A Youtube video:

Our group has also spent tens of thousands of volunteer hours on improving the western GTA rivers and planted close to 400,000 trees to help improve habitat in the long term. This summer we (yes a fishing club) will be building a fish ladder with MNR at the second dam so in future these fish can get to their spawning grounds on their own!

CRAA is also a leading partner in the Atlantic salmon program. Still early, but we are seeing some small returns and it appears catches are becoming more common.

Tight lines,

John Kendell

President, CRAA

Nice work guys and gals, several friends and my self tried to "help" some streams in the fingerlake regions and got a hudge thumbs down from the D.E.C. ....So a gret big thanks from a L.O. fisherman who enjoys "catching" fish when we head out .. and a Big Thank You to your MNR for realizing that everyday people can help and make a difference.. Im shure i speek for many as were intrested in such information (like where the heck did the fish go :lol: they were here yesterday ) ,, I think it would be well recived if you folks posted pics of the fish ladder in progress and the final project complete... :yes::yes::yes: and a :beer: to boot.

Ray K.

:yes: to craa. From what i've been hearing, they've been doing a lot of good work for the Big-O fishery. I know if one gets past Ray out west & I catch it, I'll definitely report it.

What other basic info do you want?

Tom B.

(LongLine)