Making your own planer board releases.

Does anyon here bother to make their own planer board releases? The local tackle shop here wants close to $5.00 a piece for one release. I figured I could make more then one for the same price. I've seen articles on the internet which reccomend using shower curtain rings and clothespins, but I'm not convinced those will clamp hard enough.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Austin.

If you want to make a rubber band release, you get one of those cigarette lighter flint holders thats in the shape of a lure. Trace it on a piece of 1/8" plexyglass, cut it out then cut a slot in it towards the fat end for the rubberband to slide into. Drill a small hole in front for a snap to fit into

My first release was a large paper clip partially straightened with an alligator clip soldered to it. Put some rubber hose over the teeth of the alligator clip. (windshield washer hose was the right size, I think)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I use shower curtain hangers (same as offshore uses) about 2.99 for 12. I get the alligator clip assortment for 6.99 from harbor freight tools (hole bunch for cheap). And I prefer to use silicone vacuum hose from any auto parts store for about 6 dollars for 8ft. Its a lot more smooth then rubber and I think it gives a better release. Crimp the alligator clip fast to the shower curtain hander, a little solder to keep it there and slip on some hose to cover the teeth on the clip and you done. Work great and can make a lot for cheap. Would never spend 5 dollars on a release.

• 1 year later...

i use shower curtain clip, wrap picture hanging wire around that and put a peice of icemaker tube over the cable, about 6 inches long and then wrap the other end around an aligator clip with the same tube put on them. take a couple minutes each to make but better than paying gander mountain!!

• 7 months later...