25hp kicker

martyp

I found a 1998 25hp 4 stroke mercury mariner kicker with controls and electric start that is in mint condition. Very little use. My question is, do I spend the time and money to have my boat modified to make this motor work? I have two 150 gas guzzeling outboards pushing a 6000 lb boat. The transom is full and the only place to put the kicker in on the same side as the driver witch I'm afraid will cause the boat to tilt to one side. I would spend alot more time on the water if I had the right setup. Someone told me a 9.9 four stroke woulden't be big enough.

With the right prop a 9.9 would push your boat around with no problem. Your not going to be happy with a 25 hp stuck on the back. Sounds like you might not have enough room back there any how.

We've run a Merc 25 kicker on the back of an 22' aluminum center console for a couple decades and it works just fine. Probably oversized but we had the 25 on hand back when the boat was purchased so that's what went on. It has served to bring the boat in on one occasion. 9.9 might be the right size, but the 25 works fine for us.

i odnt think you will have a problem pushing the boat. i have fished out of plenty with the weight you are pushing and they all use from a 9-15.....high thrust long shaft is your better bet. plus, as far as weight distribution, what side are your batteries on??

It sounds like you will have to do a little modifying no matter what motor you use. Find someone about the same weight as the 25hp and the to of you stand on the same side of the boat and see what happens. I don't think a 6000lb boat will tip at all. Is there any chance you could go between the to big motors,just a thought? Good luck and good fishing. :beer::beer:

I had a crazy idea to have a bracket attached to both motors except the bracket would have to pivit as the big motors turn. there is 10 inches between the motors so I think the 9.9 high thrust long shaft on the side will have to do it . thanks for all your help. oh, the batteries are dead center