So I leaned out over my enclosure and broke off my antenna..

FLXTroutman

So I leaned out over my enclosure and broke off my antenna at the mount. Duh, shakedown cruise you know. It is a nylon mount like I saw in Marine General catalog, but I am wondering if the chrome piece on the antenna just unscrews? I see the mounts and the antennae for sale but I can't see how they connect.

I looked some more online and saw the Shakespeare stuff like I have and looks like it's threaded. So hopefully I can drill out the broken piece of nylon on the antenna and secure to an new mount preferably stainless steel.

You should be able to swap it out but you will have to re-route the cable thru the new mount. Go all the way back to the radio to diconnect your cable. It will mean a small amount of sodering to make the new connectiong but you'll have better luck with that then making a splice mid run, that coax cable is finiky stuff to splice. I'm no wiring expert but I had the same O-s**t moument a couple of years ago....Good luck.

You should be able to swap it out but you will have to re-route the cable thru the new mount. Go all the way back to the radio to diconnect your cable. It will mean a small amount of sodering to make the new connectiong but you'll have better luck with that then making a splice mid run, that coax cable is finiky stuff to splice. I'm no wiring expert but I had the same O-s**t moument a couple of years ago....Good luck.

You may not need to do this. The shakepeares at least have the cable coming out of the antenna right at the chrome piece. You won't be able to unscrew the antenna but if the base is broke or dismounted you can unscreww the base out of the chrome piece without affecting the wire.

The chrome piece dosen't unscrew off the mast. The nylon piece should come out of it with out much trouble. The coax cable comes out of the mast above the mount so you shouldn't have to cut or splice it once you get your new mount installed