I really do love following some of you guys on your twitter reports. Is there any chance you can include what Port you are fishing out of on some of those reports?

Something like..."hammering the Browns in Oswego" ...of Fairhaven or wherever.

Glad your enjoying the tweets, a lot of work went into the project and getting so many top notch captains to share their years of experience and wit with the fishing community. The site features many options for the locations of the captains, click on their pic next to the tweet and it will take you to their website, same with the little birdie on the right. They usually list their home port there with directions. You can select the area of interest by the flags above the tweets, east, central west etc. or select individual Capts. tweets to display once you know who you want to follow. Some of the newer phones transmit the gps coordinates from where the tweet is made and a map tweet in red will be displayed the basic or NOAA overlay map will show exactly where they are. If the captains are fishing in a tourney or not at their home port they might indicate that at some point but most are still learning to use their thumbs and learning to tweet so you're patience will be needed.

Congratulations to all involved in the project for utilizing a new technology to enhance the fishing experience with the most immediate reporting of fishing conditions and information available.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Tweets! Larry hit the nail right on the head. Keep an eye out for "Map Tweets" on the Tweet and that'll show you exactly where the guys are. Some guys have smart phones that allow them to show their GPS coordinates, other guys just have regular phones and can't show that info. One more thing that might help you to identify where the guys are fishing is to scroll over their picture on the left of their tweets. That should bring up a pop-up box that'll list our home ports. For the most part that's where we'll be fishing from unless its a tournament weekend. There are one or two guys who jump around the lake to follow the fish but for the most part guys are fishing from their home ports. My guess is that you won't see much info on a tournament weekend as there's a lot of money on the line and most of us will opt to keep the details about where we are and how we're doing to ourselves until after the tournament concludes. I know that I'll be turning the GPS coordinates feature off on tourney weekends! ;)

Enjoy the reports!

That's correct Jason. It's designed as a way to get INSTANT fishing information into your hands. We have put a ton of time, money, and effort into building Lake Ontario Tweets. I've personally put over 6 months of my time into the project. As far as having only a "select few" who can post goes, the idea was to get a couple of full time career professionals from most ports on the lake to report as often as they can. In the cases where we weren't able to find a career professional, we asked guys that are very active in the fishery and its day-to-day goings on to help us out. These guys are giving freely of their time to help provide current, up-to-the-minute information in an effort to help promote the fishery on Lake Ontario and I think that they should all be applauded for doing so. Most of the guys that are involved in the project didn't write regular fishing reports on LOU in the past anyway, so having them report via Twitter is a huge thing for us. We simply don't have the ability to allow everyone on LOU to tweet their reports. The effort that goes into getting just one Captain signed up and operational on the Twitter project can be monumental. For example, just this week I exchanged over a dozen emails, countless text messages, and spent well over an hour on the phone just to get one Captain up and going. And that doesn't even take into consideration the amount of time that it takes Chad to set them up on the system or the time I spent telling them about the project and convincing them to participate. Twitter is inherently a one-way communication medium, and was the best way we could come up with to get the information from the lake as its happening into your hands just moments later. So yes, it is a one-way communication tool.

LOU is a fantastic forum because people give so freely of their time, talent, and information to help others out. We see LOT as just another step in trying to help guys make informed decisions as to when & where to fish. We still have the regular Fishing Reports sections for all other reports and we hope that people will still write their detailed reports there too.

I hope this answers your question.

Hey Wayne -

I think that if you let your mouse hover over the captains images on each tweet it will give you a little more information about their HOME port. This might not be exactly where they are fishing that day, but that will be the case I would think more times than not. For example, Jerry (Rebel Charters) has the home port listed as "Sandy Creek". Other than when he is fishing tournaments around the lake, you can guess his location to be somewhere off of Sandy.

Some captains willingly share exact GPS cords and some don't wish to disclose any location information. To each their own.

Enjoy the Tweets! I can hardly sit here at work knowing what is going on live on the water right now...... :clap::yes:

Chad

Do you have to have a twitter account? I just got a new motorola Devour phone that allows me to add any social netork I want right on my homescreen and updates pop up as they come in which would be awesome for me. this new phone uses MotoBlur to do this. Works with Facebook and Twitter but I don't have accounts with either. So if I understand this app right the captains reports would update right to my home screen as they post.

The phone is awesome, maybe I should start a FB and Twitter account. Here is what my homescreen looks like. For guys looking for a new phone Droids are sweet the internet and brower is sick and the weather apps, GPS maps etc all very cool stuff.

QDYU0.jpg

hi guys, just trying to get used to this twitter thing. does it update automaticaly or is it my computer?

it seems to refresh but i get the same info? nothing new. that dreamweaver thing flases and then the same post stays on top, what am i doing wrong? thanks for such a great site, and it would be awsome for a real time wave height. that so important when you live far from the big pond. kids get pretty disappointed when you get down there and have to turn around.

Hey Lineguy,

That is how the twitter page is suppose to work. Every time you see it flash, the system is checking for any new tweets posted by the captains. If there are new tweets at the time it checks (once every 30 seconds), then it will automatically post up there the new tweet. If there are no new tweets, then nothing will happen and it will check again 30 seconds later. Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Chad

Thanks for putting some of the home port info under the "profile" for twitter. That is sweet. I have the new Droid with Tweetcaster loaded on it. It is a sweeeeeet phone. A couple of the Captains that I am following are also following me.

If anyone wants to follow my "amateur" fishing, please feel free. My user name on twitter is : stoutner

I dabble on Lake Ontario and mostly fish Cayuga and Seneca.

Wayne

P.S. Thanks for putting this together. It is really cool. I hope more followers participate.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of your hard work and dedication to this great fishery we have. To the captains that "share" their info kudos to you gentlemen, it is a wonderful tool for us part time fishermen :yes::yes::yes: