Long nose Gar(pictures)

Saturday , my fishing partner RJ and I went for Gar, the weather in the morning was perfect,no wind flat ass calm

garfishing003.jpg

it wasn't long before RJ hooked into the first fish of the day,49 inches

garfishing004.jpg

garfishing005.jpg

garfishing006.jpg

The release

garfishing010.jpg

garfishing011.jpg

garfishing012.jpg

I hooked into a good size fish.. but after a short battle it came unpinned :@

The wind started to pick up and since this is site fishing we were looking for any calm spots where we mite be able to hook up with a few more... Again I was lucky and hooked into a good fish, but again it came unpinned... ;(

RJ was doing his best to spot fish for me, he spotted a small school of about 4 fish, that scattered when they seen us, I took one of the bigger fish but I missed with my cast and by the time the bait got to the fish, it just passed over his back,you need to run the bait right by is nose to get them to take the bait,RJ spotted one from the same group,it stopped about 20 feet from the boat, it took only three or four casts then snap.. the fight was on.. and what a fight, they roll like a gator, jump like a bass and pull like a muskie, i slipped the net under the fish and it was over, turns out that this fish was the same length as his record breaker from last year, but it was shy in the girth dept

51 Inches

garfishing017.jpg

garfishing019.jpg

A close up of the teeth :o

garfishing020.jpg

openmouth.jpg

The wind was blowing across the surface of the water... making it impossible to spot the fish... so we packed it in early and headed home... home early from a fishing trip= brownie point :lol::yes: so only two landed, both by RJ 100 inches of fish... got to love it. Hope to get a few yet this Spring

Phil

Its all catch and release,you can find Gar in the St. Lawrence river, we use a small crank bait with a wire leader.If you ever have a chance to cast for one of these... take it, unbelievable fight :yes:

Gar are great fighters I landed one back in the 1990 that went 10 lbs little did I know that the state record at that time was 7 lbs. Black lake is full of these fish also. I have had many on while pike fishing but the boney mouth is not easy to get a good hook set and they usually get away.

Georged

Gar are great fighters I landed one back in the 1990 that went 10 lbs little did I know that the state record at that time was 7 lbs. Black lake is full of these fish also. I have had many on while pike fishing but the boney mouth is not easy to get a good hook set and they usually get away.

Georged

They are hard to get a hook into,you have to use a rod with lots of back bone ,braided line and replace the the standard hooks on your cranks to good ones ...hooks must be razor sharp, once hooked up never let off the pressure,if you do for a spilt second they will shake the hook and they will be gone.Rob Jackson(RJ) has worked out these details over years of trial and error. good luck

Phil