Garmin TR-1 Gold A/P Question

HomeOffice

Hello Everyone,

Just installed the new Garmin Tr-1 Gold A/P which was a really easy install for the most part, what I thought was strange was the fact that you didn’t really need to calibrate the compass in order for the unit to work, Its seems this A/P will hold a course even without a compass and still be able to change headings either to port or starboard from the remote control head. I found out that the only purpose for the compass on this unit is for connecting it to your GPS which you then in turn can set a course via your GPS. This unit will do “S†turns and “Zig Zag†and other patterns all by its self by just entering a code from the control head which is very easy to do and you can also set the rate in minutes for these patterns from one turn till the next. I know a few other boats that have this A/P and one of which has a moor speed and temp which I happen to have as well, it seem that there is some interference between these two devices. So I called and spoke with a Garmin Tech who told me the only thing he could think of was to make sure I have separate power source for each device “Which I do†So I thought I would post the question on here and see if anyone else has had this problem. Or if anyone has a depth raider and is experience the same type of problem. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I had the same problem and never found a fix. I spent so much time trying to get it to work correctly and never did. To use the depth raider i would just disengage the autopilot and immediately get a reading and reengage it when the boat started going off course. Here are the things i tried, electrical noise suppressor. electoral chokes on all the wires, moved one battery to the front of the boat to power the unit, moved the tr-1 unit as far away from the antenna as possible and probably a few more things i can't remember. I sold my boat a year ago and told the new owner about this issue. I contacted the owner of depth raider, Kurt, and he told me they were working on a fix. You might want to give him a call and maybe he has found something that works.

Dave

Dave THANKS! I've done pretty much all the same things you have with no luck. I wasn’t clear on what you said about the depth raider, did you say you had the same problem or the depth raider didn’t have this problem?

I had the depth raider. My friend had a moor subtroll and i tried that on my boat with the same results. Both units are picking up interference from the auto pilot. If i ever do it again and have a tr1 i would try a fishhawk because it doesn't use an antenna system like the moor or depth raider. Here is a link to their site. By the way you are going to love the tr-1. i had it on 2 boats i owned and it will spoil you.

dave

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/

Frank,

I have used my TR-1 Gold with both Depth Raider and now the X4 Fishhawk and haven't had any interference problems with either unit. I have my autopilot wired directly to the battery and my Fishhawk wired into the main fuseblock in the dash of the boat. Simple hookup with no problems. I wish I had a simple fix for you but it sounds like you have tried just about everything.

Good luck!

Brian

Brian,

Thanks, I know there isn’t any problems with the fish hawk, Jim “Double J†has the same A/P and a fish hawk and has no trouble at all. Did you say you say you’re running the depth raider as well with no problems?

Frank,

I used to run a Depth Raider on my boat but got tired of the coated cable. Last year I switched to the X-4 Fishhawk. I did run the TR 1 Gold at the same time as the Depth Raider and no interference problems.

Brian