Total Hits: 2

Total Boated:1

Species Breakdown:Brown Trout

Hot Lure: Dirty White Boy Scorpion

Trolling Speed: 2.7

Down Speed: 2.2

Boat Depth: 30 FOW

Lure Depth: 10'

Limped into town Thursday night with an overheating truck. Spent most of the day getting the boat ready for the season and changing the thermostat on the truck. Turns out it was my Water pump and had to spend Saturday morning looking for a Mechanic between Mexico and Pulaski that could take care of it on the spot. A big thanks to Ivans. He did great work at a fair price and I was able to make it home today.

The bad part was my daughter and her boyfriend were up with me and both have never fished Lake Onatrio before. My daughter hasn't fished since whe was about 11 yrs old. They were excited and could wait to get out and fish and we only had about 2 hours to do so. We motored up to the mouth of the Salmon river and trolled south to the mouth of the Little Salmon between 8 and 10 FOW and could not find any decent temp. The highest was 51 degrees. There were only two other boats out fishing. I had a feeling the fish might be shut down. We tried rapalas and smithwicks off the OSP boards and various spoons off the riggers. To try and change our luck we started to troll west and into deeper water when my daughter says" the rod just went up" forgetting they were new I told them to grab it and no one was home by that time. Then about 10 minutes later, the rigger rod fires again in about 30 FOW temp was around 48 degrees. My daughter was hooked into her first Brown Trout ever. Not a monster by any means but a trophy to her. She landed it weighing it at 6.5 lbs and measuring 24". Take notice to the marks on it side in the cooler shot. I was not sure if that was from a lamprey maybe when it was smaller or what it could be. Take a look and let me know what you guys think may be the cause of the discoloration.

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================IMG00176-20100424-1858.jpg

IMG00174-20100424-1823.jpg

Thanks guys. I wasn't 100% but knew it was legal if it were either species. We caught it towards the end of the day and I filleted it up as soon we got back to camp just before darkness. She thinks it's a king and don't want to burst her bubble. I won't tell her if you don't. Thanks for the feed back. I'd love to know about those markings.

Congrats to the daughters first brownie. :yes:

It looks like a healed up lamprey scar.

We caught a decent brown in Cayuga Lake south end today that had a very large red scar (much bigger than the hole a lamprey typically leaves), however about the same shape and location but significantly fresher wound than the one in your pic. We figured it was from those nasty eels. It amazes me how the fish can heal those wounds.

Last weekend, when i was in mexico bay, we had a brown, that the entire side was missing, you could see through the bones to the inners....suprisingly, the fish fought well, and was a nice release to fight again....hope everyhing is running smooth now!