Forschner Knives

I was told that they make a great knife. Billy has the 10" Cimeter and loves it! However, that knife is listed under the "butcher knife" section (Forschner model number 40539). Under the fillet knives section I see they make a 12" Salmon Slicer (Forschner model number 40643). Anyone have any experience with either of these knives?

I have the 12" Cimeter (Model 40630) and it is kick a$$. Ask your buddy Jax about it. Jeremy borrowed it last year at Olcott to clean the fish they caught the day he had the father and son on board filming that 50 states in 50 days fishing show.

http://www.captgarys.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=949

Tim

yup, Can't beat um.

I keep a 12" and 10" on the boat.

use the 12 to take the fillets off the carcus and the 10 to take the skin off the fillets and trimming.

That way it's a good long time before I need to sharpen them.

Good to touch them up with a fine steel every so often also and keep um like a razor.

Glen

10 inch is fine Rick. These guys are always bragging about the size of their knives :o to other guys I'm sure look at Ray K, he's gotten by using a 6inch for years :lol: .

Stay away from the "Salmon Slicer" that's for slicing the salmon into thin strips after filleting won't hold up to the bones as well.

Rich

The 40538 10 inch has a lighter blade and has some flex in it the 40630 is stiff. When Chuck was working at the Oswego cleaning station he used a long slicer and he could fillet a Salmon faster than anyone. I think his knife was a Dexter or Russell.

at the flea mkt in fla they had forschner knives 15.oo -10 in .$18.00--12 in and 20.00- for a stiffer 12 in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought they were knockoffs till i cleaned many many fish and could still shave with them ...............till i sliced up a shark but a few swipes on the steel and was shaving again.....good knives specially at the price they sell for down there

I bought a diamond 2 sided stone at lowes . It does a n unbelivable job sharpening knives . I used it to sharpen a hammered carbide $35 router stair bit and made it like new. Sharpens my planes & chisles. Also on utility knife blades. Best 15 bucks I ever spent.Has paid for itself 10 times. Gave about 3 away for gifts. Has a hook grove on it. Pulls out & folds back into the handle so you can keep it in your back pocket. GET ONE!

• 2 weeks later...