Any perch reports out of Dunkirk?

Draggin Ballz

Yep, Lake Erie...

I figured with the warmer spring that we were having there might be some activity already.

I had one day last year towards the end of May where my Buddy and my 2 boys caught 160+ perch in less than 4 hours...we kept 121.

A couple weeks ago the perch were going great guns out of the Cattaraugus Creek and Evangola Park. Then things have slowed as the perch are suspending now and getting ready to spawn. The migrating perch should start shortly off Sturgeon Point where the lake narrows down to about nine miles. Just make sure the marina is open as it was being dredged. About a third of the fish are real lunkers so get in on it when they start back up.

fished out of catt. today only saw a few perch caught. last week did good off evengola white wall in 50 -55 fow. also last week guys did good off silver creek in 42- 48 fow. the wind this week must have screwed things up. got a report of perch schools in front of wind mills in 52 fow today, good luck if you go . i will be turkey hunting for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple days of warm weather, no wind and a flat lake have pushed the lake temp to about 70 as of today and the pack of boats is out front in pursuit of perch. The bass fishing has finally turned on as well. This is Dunkirk that I am posting about.

One boat reported 60 perch in 60 foot out of Sturgeon Point. A hundred boats reported 0's everywhere else. The surface temperatures in 75 foot of water were 66 degrees Friday. There is an algae bloom going on now and the bait nust feeding in the surface waters, and the perch must be up there. We need a good blow to return the lake to normal action. In 65 foot, the bait clouds on the bottom, are 30 foot high but no bites there. Walleye are 20 to 50 foot down suspended and the big breeders are sitting on the bottom. if I was to go out today, I would try out of Sturgeon point Marina.

Well, I went to Erie, PA and we fished out of Presque Isle Bay on Sunday. The furthest we went out was 45' fow and didn't catch anything. We moved around several times trying different depths with no luck. There were a ton of boats out there and 1 guy we talked to said that he caught 3 in 2 hours, so it wasn't just us. Oh well, there's always the next time. :@