FISH HAWK X4 OR CANNON INTELLI TROLL

The only one that is easy to install and foolproof not to mention it is made right here in buffallo is the subtroll 900. I personally have sold over 40 units with minamal problems. I know many guys who use these units daily, they are bullet proof. Call me if you need more info or questions.

I was involved with the pre-production testing of the new Cannon IntelliTroll and I have one on my boat now. Installation took me about 30 minutes and was a piece of cake. It uses the same basic technology as the Moor and the Depth Raider but also has the added benefit of showing actual depth of the probe. The new cannon probe is a significant improvement over the old one too. If you want to read my impressions of the unit, check here for several blog entries about it: http://myblog.billyvsportfishing.com/

I can't comment on the Fish Hawk as I've never run one, but lots of guys really like them. It all boils down to your personal preferences - Coated cable and easy installation or no coated cable and an extra transducer to install. Everyone has their own preference but the truth is that either will work quite well for you.

I just bought a new X4 fish hawk and I am very impressed so far.The only thing that sort of bugs me is that there seems to be a few seconds delay between the signal being sent and the screen changing accordingly.

I just put a fish hawk on my boat and it works great, real happy no complaints. I have never used the other brands but I can say this one worked good the first time out.

Another vote for the Fish-Hawk X4. However, be sure to request the metal transducer bracket from the dealer. I went through 2 of the plastic ones last year...they broke while running out to the grounds, must have come into contact with debris or perhaps just the force of pounding across waves.

It has a nice LARGE screen, and best of all, NO COATED CABLE!

101_0016copy.jpg

In my opinion this makes this down speed-n-temp sensor one of the better units out there. For example, if you were to have a downrigger fail, cable break, etc. You can simply clip the X-4 probe onto another downrigger on the same boat, and you're back up and running.

Tony

we use the depth raider. when it works it works good. it seems inconsistant. it will just loose signal for no reason. so the x4 does not have an antenna like the depth raider? i like the big display. i see it has 4 readings. what are they all?

we use the depth raider. when it works it works good. it seems inconsistant. it will just loose signal for no reason. so the x4 does not have an antenna like the depth raider? i like the big display. i see it has 4 readings. what are they all?

There is no antenna.

There is a transducer that is mounted alongside your sonar transducer, and the probe transmits wirelessly to the transducer. As rolmops said, The readings are speed and temp at surface and speed and temp at the probe. Unfortunately I lost the surface paddlewheel as it busted off the first time I broke the plastic transducer. Surface speed doesn't matter to me as much.

They are around $700 in Ontario and $600 in N.Y.

Tony

i have heard of a few others that have the same issues with the depth raider. when signal is lost we put a wet rag on the antenna and it works again. very frustraiting at times. has anyone else had or heard of this? it has done it since day one.

• 2 weeks later...

Used the older Fishhawk and suffered the typical scattered readings-used the DepthRaider last year and loved it except for the coated cable deal-got the new X-4 and love it even more-have a used DepthRaider for sale in perfect condition.Marlowe