Sodus Point, May 16th-18th

Well our three days up to Lake Ontario have past and unfortunately this is how it went:

Wednesday- we arrived at Sodus Point to find wind, rain and cold conditions. The lodge was nice but we really didn't get out until about 3p.m. and that was just to take a look at the bay. Was hoping Thursday would be a better day.

Thursday- woke up to the sun shining but still cold and windy. Ventured carefully out to the west in search of browns but the nearshore water was too rough for the 16 footer. Started a long loop back to the inlet and found calmer waters in 100 feet of water. The water temp was in the 40's and we knew we had trouble. Caught one steelie on the top and a very small chinook in 45 feet of water. Ventured in and spent the remainder of the cold day in the bay catching bass and northerns.

Friday- Our last day up at the lake and we were very eager to get out and give it another shot, however, the weather didn't agree with us and we were forced yet again to stay in the bay. The warm, sunny day the weathermen had forecasted developed into a cloudy, windy, cold day. We fought the wind and managed to land a good number of bass and a few pike but it really wasn't what we were looking for.

Saturday- all packed and ready to leave at the crack of dawn and low and behold the sky was sunny and no wind. Would have liked to give it another shot but we had to get on the road. Left sodus Point wondering what if the cold front had held off yet another week. The lodge owner said they had been nailing coho's, browns and steelies right off the inlet. Hopefully, we will get back next year and have the opportunity to get out and catch some of those fish.

This weekend it's back to fishing New Jersey, trying for lakers instead of salmon. I just want to thank everyone here for all the information they provided me. Even though it didn't work out the way I had hoped, the information I have received from the members of this site will surely help in the years to come. Thanks again.

dude ,bummer trip hey if ya want a day trip or two im shure one of us could find room on a cooler in the boat for ya , the pen rearing stuff is helping sodus for salmon fishing but is better early for browns or a little later for the big boys , this was the first year outa olcott for me ,and God willing it wont be my last ,ya might plan on that way nxt yr. or the oak then if ya get blown off you can hit the big river ,jump on one of our boats, see the falls,or take a charter ..

Yeah Ray thanks. I'm already looking for a little bigger fixer upper boat and the next time we head up we were thinking of chartering a boat one day and fishing out of our boat inshore or in the bay the next. We figure that way we'll at least have the option to get out. At least the largemouths cooperated and it was nice to get away for a few days.