Seneca 5-5-2010

First time on the water for 2010 went late about 12:00 noon spent the about a hour dropping downrigger down and bringing them back up getting the wire tight. I put two I bought over the winter and tore down one of them and one of my old one so the wire was loose. About 1:30 pm I had two lines in the water running SD ( that I had yet to get a fish on) with BW vib fly on one and a new fly ( forgot name) on other rig both downrigger. Ran them up tight the vib fly I tied as long as I could with the other at 22". I had two hits on the vib fly and landed two lakers 25.5" 5#6oz and 28" 5#10oz. Every thing was fine but the one new rigger ( Cannon Mag 10A) to get it to come up I had to hold the switch same as when it went down. Being I tore this rigger all apart could it be the wiring ??? Or just the switch gone bad ??

Best depth from 100' to 120' down 100' back 5' speed was 2.5 or better on the GPS , guess that's the key for these spinny's

2010%20fishing%20001.jpg

2010%20fishing%20002.jpg

along with the cable in contact with the spring, did you replace the control switch as well? i had the same problem, moisture got into the switch and caused it to go haywire, screwy louies in fairhaven did an awesome job for forty bucks to do a complete service on it..

Thanks guys , it just seems if and I know I didn't hook the cable wire to a spring cable I didn't see one. That that would only affect the short stop. This one did have a "plug" (hard rubber) into the setscrew hole , would be for hold the downrigger wire intouch with the setscrew and shaft??? I took another look in side extra wiring and a small circut board that my other mag 10 a's don't have ion control???). I think I'll just take the switch out of one of mine and put it in and see if I can get it to work like them.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have the same issue but it happens intermittently, Mag5's. I put coated cable on the one and the other is factory rigged still. I run them off a battery that is not switched but is stand alone. I am beginning to think a ground issue as the battery is not grounded to the boat.

Anyone have any thoughts on that??? Not sure if that's a concern for you ERabbit and my apologies for jumping on your thread :)

I have the same issue but it happens intermittently, Mag5's. I put coated cable on the one and the other is factory rigged still. I run them off a battery that is not switched but is stand alone. I am beginning to think a ground issue as the battery is not grounded to the boat.

Anyone have any thoughts on that??? Not sure if that's a concern for you ERabbit and my apologies for jumping on your thread :)

If the battery is astand alone , you have to ground the battery to the boat , if you have a fiberglass boat you have to ground the extra battery to the motor to create the ground loop , the ball breaks the ground loop and shuts the rigger off when it comes out of the water....I hope I did not confuse you ......Mark

No problem Irish56 hope you got it fixed. When I was out today I took some downrigger wire hooked it to the side of the shaft where the cluch knob is and then held it on the down rigger wire. I hit the up switch and let go and it kept running till I pull the wire off...............now all I have to do is run wire off and make sure it hooked into the shaft and I'll be good to go.

:yes: Thanks guys. :beer: