Starters and altenators

Had a problem with my starter and took it to Pro Rebuilders and they not only checked it out by taking it all apart for me but they did it in an hour or so because I told them I was going out on Wednesday and at no charge :D . Ended up being that my battery wasn't putting out enough amps (they checked that too) even though it was charged it would drop way down when the starter was turning over and keeping it from engaging. These guys are great guys over there and really helped me out.

Little tid bit they passed along to me was that they can make altenators that will push out alot of amps for you when you are trolling at low speeds with your bigger motors to help keep your battery in good shape especially with all your electronics, downriggers ect. going. Aparently they have done this for Sam on the Advocate.

Sorry shopuld have put this in the This Old Boat catagory :? :x

Had an alternator built for mine last year at Northstar. Charges at idle. We can run both our electrics at the same time and you cant even tell. Great thing to have when you have alot of equipment running all the time. Most alternators dont charge below 800 or 1000rpm.

I don't need these guys right now, but at one time or another everyone does. It would be nice to have a sticky spot in the forum (maybe This Old Boat) broken down by businesses that provide specific marine repairs. (Hey Blue Eye) HINT HINT ;)

Muskybob, good idea :) but I also think they should spend the $$ and advertise on the site to help support the site in return for the business, unless we throw them out there at times (like I did).

tom thanks for the invite, sorry i couldnt make it on wed. OH WAIT YA NEVER INVITED ANYONE,just use some of that vast knowlage ya lerned on my boat ,oooo im sorry were you sleeping if ya go to olcott tomorrow you should do great ,big kings moving in cohos all over the place.have fun enjoy your new top and slow down for the racoons sorry no chokers but i got a photo with a sad story for ya ,,,dont forget the plug..................

Customer: sir could you check my starter my lights are dim, the electronics keep flashing,and my voltage meter reads very low.Mechanic: sounds like a battery problem did ya think to check that before pulling the starter and tieing up my shop. Customer: no but i think its my starter cause my battery,s dead..Mechanic: well if it will keep you happy and get rid of you ill pretend to tear it apart ... Costomer: thank you iv been flipping burgers all night oh check the battery too when your done with starter... mechanic: (thought flip this) ok sir just watch out for my dog in the parking lot when you leave......... customer.oppppppsssssssssssss i thought that was a racoon....

Ray, Ray, Ray!! Excuse me Mr. heating and air conditioning man quit snorting the freon, but the battery is NOT DEAD and actually read 12 volts in the boat and on his meter :shock: it's just dropping the amps to quickly when it gets cranked to "POP" the starter up and engage every time. You see Mr. engine tuner/put the gas in the wrong tank boy, the starter in an out board stands straight up and needs that exra push to pop it up and crank it over (which I might add it did last night before I went to bed) :shock: :roll: :D

Since I have used these guys before, I knew they would check it out for me so that I didn't get stuck at the dock or worse yet out in the lake.

The next raccoon I hit I'm gonna name it RAY :shock: :D

I like to take the boat out by myself the first trip to make sure that everything is in order including things like the engine (REMEMBER OLCOTT TRIP WITH TOM WITH THE WATER IN THE GAS AND ENGINE HAVING TO BE TUNED FOR SPEED FROM UNDER THE COVER :shock: :D ) Just kidding with ya call me if you want to get out some time I don't know your schedule. You do work don't you? I am going out of Sandy creek.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. My issue turned out to be that my main cables from the batteries to the outboard needed to be replaced. I had cleaned the terminations and it still wouldn't pop it up on the flywheel. voltage was only like 10-11 volts at the solenoid. The quick and easy test to check the wiring was to run a set of jumper cables from the battery right to the starter solenoid. Mine fired right up when I did that.