50lber will it happen this season??

With the size of fish being taken this spring, and the amount of forage out there for them to keep packing on the pounds, I am thinking that a 50lb king may be taken this season. Anyone else think this is a possibility???

I warched a 72 pound King taken on the Kenai by a fellow fishing from the bank. After a half hour he jumped in up to his waist and lifted the fish onto theshore. No, he did not lift it and it was the greatest catch I ever saw. He did not have a boat to chase it down.

I warched a 72 pound King taken on the Kenai by a fellow fishing from the bank. After a half hour he jumped in up to his waist and lifted the fish onto theshore. No, he did not lift it and it was the greatest catch I ever saw. He did not have a boat to chase it down.

after a half hour fighting that fish i wouldn't be able to hold my :beer: . but i would do my best. what was he using?

The fall LOC board is going to be stupid this year, if this class of fish keeps up the pace its on!

Last years spring LOC Grand Prize winner was 24.08, well that was 20th place this year with fish spread up from there including 2 monster 32.00 pound kings.

If those 27-28 pound kings put on the avg 10-12 pounds for fall....yet a 32 pound king- I guarantee there will be a few 39-41 pound kings at the top of the fall LOC. :yes::yes:8)

And Im going to catch one of them!

I also saw a 40#er come off the pier at Olcott. The biggest fish will concentrate in the streams in September, not the lake. What those crick fishermen use is probably plugs like Wiggle Warts or Hot n Tots like they use for river Kings in Alaska.

i'm with jax on this one, definetly will be something in the 40 range come the fall loc, and man i hope its me :D, as far as 50lb goes thats a stretch but i've heard rumors that the dec has pulled 50lb kings off the fish ladder on the salmon river before but as i siad that was a rumor, i'd say if the bait stays like it is next year the kings will be even bigger then this year, and from what i'm seeing from the size of kings i'm catching this year the average kings is about 19-20lb so come august i'd say the average king is going to be about 24-25lb aka its coming to be a fun summer by the looks of it. :)

If they pulled a 50 off the fish ladder and did not make a big deal about it for advertisement & tourism reasons, well , thats not to smart. So my guess is they didn't. But the fish sure are big this year,& lots of them. Give praise to the guys responsible for all of it for a good job manageing it. . And thank the big guy for it also .

I agree 50#s is a stretch, but I was really surprised by the 42# taken off the Bar last fall too.

There are definitely larger Springers this year than the last few years, but even if you go on the high end of the "20 - 30%" of their body weights in their 4th year (32# x 30% = 41.6#), you still aren't at 50...

That being said...

I would believe that there are 5th year Rogue bucks out there that always create the outside chance that there is a high 40s or 50# King out there.

If there wasn't a chance, what would we dream about??

Nice thread guys. I thank the "Big Guy" all the time for this fishery, and the "Great" Lakes. I feel it is no accident that the Kings have taken so well to our Lake. Besides being so incredibly fun to fish for they are a huge part of the turn around of the ecosystem. It's win-win-win-win, did I say win? Absolutely NO rusty wind structures marring this pond.

As for the "monsters" coming from the lake or the tribs, the late Summer/early Fall water temps take their toll on the condition and "fatness" of the Salmon, especially in recent years. It just burns them up as they go off the feed and mill around waiting for run-off and cooler temps for spawning. I think if we are going to see exceptional sizes it will be by early September.

If more people would practice ketch and release it could be a possibility

Many quality fish are killed for no reason…

Every week, the freezer at the dock is full, nice kings, rainbows etc….All fish that were taken for no reason…

28 lbs spring fish could be 38 – 42 lbs in Aug – Sept.

The obvious thing this year is that the average 3 year old fish is much larger than previous years, so there will be many more 30 lbers than we have been used to and likely 40ish lbers will be seen for Fall derbies.

In order to see a fish approaching 50lbs it is likely a rogue older fish... the fish we are mainly seeing right now are larger than normal 3 year old age class fish, therefore, it is more likely to see a 50 lber next year or the following year as a rogue holdover of this years larger than normal fish.

However, we have not seen this happen any previous year, so the odds are stacked against it.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't recall the exact year but I'd say somewhere around 2000 I had a lady take one 38 pounds even during the fall derby. It was 12th place when we weighed it and didn't make the top 20. I think it ended up #21. Seems like there were like 10 over 40 that year. Anyone remember what year that was? It's amazing how much it changes from year to year. Lots of years, it would have won. Her husband did take the 2nd place laker at 25.2 the next day though.

Mickey Finn,

That was 1999, the winner and top 10 kings were all over 40, 20th place was 38lb 4 oz (I believe) Big steelies that year also, If I recall correctly top 10 were all over 20 and 20th place was 18.

Tim