Trailer tire help

It is time to order some new tires for my boat trailer. I was in fear that I might be overloading my current tires when I load up for the great Lake for my two trips per year. I loaded up the boat today and was able to weigh it at a local scrap metal scale. Current set up with all gear and fuel weighs 3724 lbs. The trailer has two tires, size ST205/75R14. They have a rating of 1760 lbs. So as I feared, I am overloaded. These existing tires have lasted for six years. They are Goodyear Marathon radials. Does anyone know enought about tires to help me select a new tire to change to that would not require me to change rims or anything else.

I am currently searching the net but have not come up with the answers I am looking for. My search continues.

Thank all for your help.

Richard

I think you need to reduce the amount of gear in your boat. Can you shift some of the load into your tow vehicle? We used to constantly blow out tires on the thruway until we relized that we had way to much in the boat.

May want to see if you could step up to a light truck tire and rim. You can find good deals on rims at an auto scrap yard. It all depends on your hubs, light truck are usuall 15". Your best be on the 14" tires is to call a trailer dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind, aside from your tires, is the actual capacity of your trailer. It is rated to carry so much weight, as is the axle. If you overload the axle, you will risk the chance of destroying bearings, hubs, and possibly bending the axle from the excess weight. I looked at the online site I go to for info on trailer tires, and it appears the only load range offered in your current size is 'C', which is the 1760lb rating you mentioned. There is an ST215/75-14 offered, but it only ups the rating to 1870lbs per tire, bringing your total capacity to 3740. Not much more than your total weight now, leaving very little room for error. Since you do not want change anything, I would suggest what fishfearme suggested, and try relocating some of your gear to your tow vehicle for those 2 trips a year.

May want to see if you could step up to a light truck tire and rim. You can find good deals on rims at an auto scrap yard. It all depends on your hubs, light truck are usuall 15". Your best be on the 14" tires is to call a trailer dealer.

Not a good idea, if I'm not mistaken tires on trailers have to be labeled "for trailer use only" An individual I know thought the same thing, bought nice chrome wheels and some white lettered tires for his trailer and was stopped in NYS and ended up parking the trailer till he got the right tires on it.

DO NOT put anything on a trailer but trailer tires. Car/truck tires are constructed differently and ARE NOT suitable for a trailer application, EVER.

Tim

If you want good info and tires that are cheaper than anywhere else go to:

http://www.kmtparts.com

With that weight, I would go with a "D" load range which is 8 ply.

Give them a call and they will advise you on the tires that you need.

They send them by UPS.

I bought my tires from them and it cost about half the price of anywhere else.

You do have to mount them yourself

Did you disconnect the rig from your tow vehicle to weigh? If so, I can only assume you have around 10% tongue weight, so your 3500lb. rated axle (my guess - but likely) and tires are not actually overloaded, but are close to their max. What tire pressure do you run? What speed do you tow? Under-inflated tires will wear very quickly, and are also pretty dangerous. Many people limit their towing speed to 55 mph, or will over-inflate up to 10% if they plan to tow at expressway speeds (65-70 mph). I inflate my 50 psi rated tires to 53-55 psi. They only time I have ever towed with soft tires cost me 4 new tires. Long story but lesson learned. BTW - the tires you are currently replacing are probably the best rated trailer tire available.

Good luck!

I am running the presure rated on the tire. I have decided to go with the same tire and cary more of the load in the truck. These existing tires do not show much ware, other than the flat from winter storage. they have been great tires and have lasted a long time, maybe more than I thought. The trailer is a 2002.

Thank you all for your input. Hope to see the big lake soon.

Richard

Hey Richard, just for a piece of mind, your boat came matched with that trailer, so the tire/wheel package should be the proper match, I'd just replace your tires with what has worked, move some of the weight to the truck, and be done with it.

When are you heading west??? :)8):yes::yes:

Hey Richard, just for a piece of mind, your boat came matched with that trailer, so the tire/wheel package should be the proper match, I'd just replace your tires with what has worked, move some of the weight to the truck, and be done with it.

When are you heading west??? :)8):yes::yes:

The only problem in that statement is that there are people involved.

It happens all the time that dealers will sell you ill fitting set ups because their profit goes up.

I am running the presure rated on the tire. I have decided to go with the same tire and cary more of the load in the truck. These existing tires do not show much ware, other than the flat from winter storage. they have been great tires and have lasted a long time, maybe more than I thought. The trailer is a 2002.

Thank you all for your input. Hope to see the big lake soon.

Richard

One thing to watch when buying the Marathons. Some of them are made in China now - it's stamped right on the sidewall. Be sure you are getting the ones made in the USA. The tread patterns are different and the sidewall letters are different between the 2 manufacturing locations. Just a heads-up!

Dear Goodyear Trailer tire USERS!

Every trailer tire in 205/75/14 by Goodyear is now made in CHINA....has been since I bought FOUR, two years ago. (MADE IN CHINA) on tire sidewall. I believe only Cooper is making them in the USA. Remember that no warranty exists on boat trailer tires to my knowledge. Please note that boat trailer tires are RATED @ 55 MPH!!! It's either China or Mexico source. If you buy any trailer tire....Ask about the warranty on boat trailer tires!! And buy load range "D" if you can find them.....

Respectfully submitted,....Jet Boat Bill

Adam,

Will be heading out Thursday am before the holiday. Looks like it will be just dad and me so far. If so, you interested in coming out one day?

Richard

I switched to 215/75/14's. 1870 lbs per. You should do the same, as it is a minor change that effects nothing with the trailer and still keeps your fenders in play.

borderline 350.

Had the trailer tires changed out today. Goodyear ST205/75R14. Made in the USA stamped right on them. Made the 48th week of 2009.

Richard