New! LOC Boat Derby Thread registrations and fish weights

The last thread was getting a little cluttered and dealt mostly with go no/go, the Derby is a go. And for those who have already sent in their monies, your card will go out later this week. (Or the beginning of next week, I'm working to the Spring checks and my golf game.) You will be able to register at the weigh-in stations and registrations outlets, but your registration card will be generated from the office. Also for those of you who do not have a boat name, please come up with one that isn't offensive or have a dual meaning, ie master baiter etc. Winners will be listed by boat name.

There is no online registration so if you want to use a credit card please call the office. Total Payout will be $34,500 and the dates are June 19-July 18.

If that last weekend is a blow-off (That could never happen :) those monies would be divided up amongst the top winners of each division)

Due to the size of the spring fish I am thinking about raising the minimum weights. This will help two fold: Help reduce killing smaller fish and maybe make for some nice carry-overs. Salmon to 25 lbs, Lake trout to 20 lbs, rainbow/steelhead and browns to 12 lbs. for the Salmon division it the largest salmon every day and if no minimum is caught it is carried over to the next day. For the trout division here is an example of how to determine the winner. Let's say for the first day we had a 22 lb 14 oz lake trout, a 14 lb 2 oz steelhead and a 15 lb 1 oz brown. For the Lake trout there is a 2 lb 14 oz difference between the min and actural weight. For the steelhead, 2 lbs 2 oz and for the brown 3 lbs 2 oz. The brown would win. Again if no minimums are reached they would carry over also.

Please keep comments on this thread to registration and minimum weights only and start a new thread with different questions.

Thanks

I have edited the above post and removed "The dates of the Derby has been shortened one day to end the day prior to the end of the Summer Derby." The dates were advertised in the Pro am brochure as June 19 to July 18 and that is what they will be. We will have last weigh-in the same as the Summer LOC on July 18th at 1:00. Thanks

The last thread was getting a little cluttered and dealt mostly with go no/go, the Derby is a go. And for those who have already sent in their monies, your card will go out later this week. (Or the beginning of next week, I'm working to the Spring checks and my golf game.) You will be able to register at the weigh-in stations and registrations outlets, but your registration card will be generated from the office. Also for those of you who do not have a boat name, please come up with one that isn't offensive or have a dual meaning, ie master baiter etc. Winners will be listed by boat name.

There is no online registration so if you want to use a credit card please call the office. Total Payout will be $34,500 and the dates are June 19-July 18.

If that last weekend is a blow-off (That could never happen :) those monies would be divided up amongst the top winners of each division)

Due to the size of the spring fish I am thinking about raising the minimum weights. This will help two fold: Help reduce killing smaller fish and maybe make for some nice carry-overs. Salmon to 25 lbs, Lake trout to 20 lbs, rainbow/steelhead and browns to 12 lbs. for the Salmon division it the largest salmon every day and if no minimum is caught it is carried over to the next day. For the trout division here is an example of how to determine the winner. Let's say for the first day we had a 22 lb 14 oz lake trout, a 14 lb 2 oz steelhead and a 15 lb 1 oz brown. For the Lake trout there is a 2 lb 14 oz difference between the min and actural weight. For the steelhead, 2 lbs 2 oz and for the brown 3 lbs 2 oz. The brown would win. Again if no minimums are reached they would carry over also.Please keep comments on this thread to registration and minimum weights only and start a new thread with different questions.

Thanks

Dave,

I have highlighted in bold print the things that are keeping me from entering this derby. The number of 20lb. lakers that will be caught once they leave the bar will drop significantly. If a laker beats out a brown, it should win. If the minimums are higher for lakers, why should a smaller brown win? Unless this changes, I will be keeping my $300.00.

I disagree Brian, LT's run bigger than BT's and Bows for the most part no matter where your fishing. There needs to be a system to make it fair. Is 20lbs the wrong number? Maybe, but I think what Dave has done is better than making them all equal. Not for nothing, but with the amount of time you fish during the week you would be foolish to not get into the derby. Not to mention it's only $300 bucks for your boat. You hit once you have doubled your money!

Gambler,

Thanks for the response. What I am trying to do is make all fish competitive. So what you are saying for the trout division is that all trout should be considered equal or the minimum for lake trout should be smaller?

Thanks again

What I'm saying is the minimum for lake trout should be smaller (17 - 18lbs). Also, if the minimuns are higher for lakers, then a 19lb. laker should beat out a 16lb. brown. With the minimums being higher for lakers, you are already leveling the playing field.

Brian,

The minimum is to create a point where the fish are equal, not just entry into the event. Because if we don't come up with way for the browns and steelhead to compete, lakers will win every time and we are trying to include all areas and fish into the derby. A 18lb Laker wouldn't have made the Spring derby but we never saw a 18 lb brown or steelhead.

In the lake trout division there were 13 fish entered above 20 lbs. In the brown trout divisiion there were 14 fish entered above 12 and the steelhead had 4 fish over 12. This was in a seven day span considering the last two days were blow-offs. I'm just afraid that if we go with just a minimum, the lake trout will win every time. I will go over more past history but this year the fish seem to be HUGE! (Hate that car commercial) Thanks for everyones input, that's what makes this forum great.

After receiving about 20 calls in 10 minutes from people who had already signed up we will stick with the weights that was originally published, see how it goes and adjust them for next year. They are Brown 10, Steelhead 13 and Lake trout 15. Salmon 20. Thanks and I apoligize for raising anyone's blood pressure.

Brian,

The minimum is to create a point where the fish are equal, not just entry into the event. Because if we don't come up with way for the browns and steelhead to compete, lakers will win every time and we are trying to include all areas and fish into the derby. A 18lb Laker wouldn't have made the Spring derby but we never saw a 18 lb brown or steelhead.

In the lake trout division there were 13 fish entered above 20 lbs. In the brown trout divisiion there were 14 fish entered above 12 and the steelhead had 4 fish over 12. This was in a seven day span considering the last two days were blow-offs. I'm just afraid that if we go with just a minimum, the lake trout will win every time. I will go over more past history but this year the fish seem to be HUGE! (Hate that car commercial) Thanks for everyones input, that's what makes this forum great.

Dave,

I'm fine with the minimums (on the original post). Like I said before, I don't think it is fair that a 15lb. 1 oz brown can beat out a 22 lb. 14oz laker.

The # of huge lakers are drawn to the bar every year in the spring because of the bait. Look at the past summer LOC stats and you will see that the bottom of the lake trout division was a lot lower than 18 and change. Once the lakers dispurse off the bar, the big ones are not as easy to find.

Brian,

Just to be clear using the original weights that above example you gave would not longer hold true. The lake trout would win. I'm trying to make this as unconfusing as possible but due to the amount of calls and emails I'm receiving, I'm not doing a very good job. In my original post I was thinking about raising the minimums. Wrong idea, not doing it.

The brown trout minimum is 10. The 15 lb 1 oz fish is over the minimum by 5 lbs, 1 oz. The Lake trout weight is 22 lbs 14 oz and the lake trout minimum is 15 lbs. That difference is 7 lbs 14 oz and the lake trout would win.

This is different than the regular LOC and it's minimums because what we are trying to do is make all trout equal, establish a baseline if you will. A 10 lb brown equals a 13 lb steelhead equals a 15 lb lake trout. The winner is determined by the weight OVER these minimums. Hope this clears things up.

The salmon division is easy, the biggest fish wins.

Thanks

Landshark.

I'm going to step onto this thread...nope, I don't agree. I've caught more browns in the mid-teens than lakers over twenty. In fact my biggest (and only) laker over twenty was 21.11 this spring. And that's after spending probably 30-40% of our time fishing for Lakers at the Niagara Bar over the past six years with some success, usually both weekends of the derby (cause we never get blown off :D )

I like Dave's relative weights of 10, 13 and 15, though I agree that may be a bit small overall and could encourage keeping fish that might normally be released. With those weights, it's like giving the browns 5 and the steelhead 2 lbs on the lakers. That's the kinda spread that seems fair.

However, I agree with Brian that giving browns and steelies eight pounds relative to the lakers is too much of a spread. I like my chances at a twelve pound brown MUCH better than a 20 lb laker.

Plus, the timing of the Derby over the first weekend is what contributed to the larger lakers as well as the sheer numbers. We had 120+ fish to the boat on the first Friday. That's not normal...there's probably one day a year just prior to the bait influx when the lakers are on a rampage like that. We'll see if the summer and fall numbers keep the promise of the spring laker board, but I for one doubt it.

Finally, shouldn't you have a better chance of winning just to make up for having to fish for mud-chickens? :D:D:D

Gator

Brian , a 15 lb brown is more an of achievement than a 22lb laker dont you agree

Nope. Never caught 2-22lb lakers in one day. Have caught 2 15lb browns in one day.

OK guys and gals, lets see how it all pans out. If previous years summer weights hold true these should be pretty fair weights. Also Wilson, Slippery, The Boat Doctors, Captains Cove, Narby's and East Fork are all set up to sell the Boat tickets. I am going east tomorrow and will try and get that direction set up tomorrow. Should have them all done by the weekend. So sign up soon and sign up often. (Like voting in Chicago) We already have boats from four states entered, it should be fun. Thanks!