Generally, the shallower in the water column you're running the farther back they go. Some guys used to use the use the 100 ft rule as a starting point: total of depth plus lead equals 100. i.e if you're 20 ft down then go 80 back.

(If you're seeing fish "streak" on you fishfinder then shorten them up)

Speeds generally refer to down speed. 2-2 1/2 is a good place to start.

Fish sometimes tell you what they want so if what you're using doesn't work then try something else.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

This is all preference. Unfotunately there is no magic distance. I like to keep the same amount of line out at all times. (100ft) That means if i'm running shallow I have a longer lead. i.e. Down 10 back 90 This allows fish to "regroup" after the boat passes before the lure gets there. The C.O.D. (cone of displacement, look this up if haven't heard of it) is important. It will very on depth water clarity, chop,etc. The off fish (RT,BT,LL) I always like a longer lead. When running deeper that changes. i.e. down 60 back 40 There the boat doesn't have as much effect as the ball does. Lure types differ also. I run alot of flashers 5ft off the ball down 50-90 ft, I have seen them run shallow with a long lead but need to be taken down and brought back up. The distance from the ball changes the action on these. Also there are down and out setups being your outside riggers are the deepest and also the longest lead. resembling trailing bait from your setup. :talk::talk: I'm hoping i covered the basics and maybe one of the oldtimers can chime in and correct me.

As for speed watch the action of your lure before you put it down if your spoons are light they will spin out in faster speeds. Other than that, down speed is more important this factors in currents that you don't get with GPS. I fish mainly the fingerlakes(Seneca) and run just Fishfinder speed. I know you heard of running S turns. This works if you pay attention to which rod fires and where the lure was at the time. Inside or out. :talk::talk:

By the way I'm a newbie (1year trolling) and this is the way I do it. I'm sure others could get more in depth.

Can someone else comment so I know if i'm wrong. ;)

Good Luck to ya :beer: