first off you will need rods alittle stiffer than normal downrigger rods, 2nd i would recommend running wire or some sort of super line like power pro in the 60lb test works well , 3rd heavy duty snap swivel to conect too dipsy diver, 4th leader behind the dipsy should be around 6ft using a snobber can save on brake offs and help with hook ups, you can pic what you want too run behind them flasher flys , clean spoons all have there moment , also on the bottem of them there is ajustment too spread them out you can start with a 2 or 2.5 setting and run them at differant depths untill you get something that works , this should get ya started on alittle basic's . good luck and wide turns .

I agree about the Walkers. I also use Dipsy and they don't seem to hold the adjustment for the left or right setting very well and they don't seem to swing out as far to the side as the Walkers.

I just bought some Torpedo's and have tried them a little bit. I actually think I will like them. You can do a lot of different things with them. I'll be running a combo of riggers, Deeper's, and Torpedo's this weekend.

I have found for me that Divers seem to catch more fish than downriggers but that is just my experience. I have 4 downriggers on my boat but usually only run 2 and use the rest of my rods on divers and planers. Nice thing about those Torpedos is they are really good if you want to use them off planers. They are really good if you only want to fish 15-30 feet down. They'll go deep but are nice when fishing shallow depths. They are also directional similar to Divers. You can also run the torpedo off your downrigger and get you line 20 or 30 feet below and to the side of the ball in case you think the ball is scaring the fish off.

Braided or wire line is a must in my opinion. I run 30 lb braided.

This may sound like a stupid question but when you set the dipsey for right or left. Des it mean left or right as your looking out the back of your boat or as your looking over the bow of your boat. I know it sounds like a pretty stupid question but just clearing it up.

If you are unsure of what direction you have it set, put the dypsy on and set it in the water just under the surface and you will find out real fast what direction it goes then you can adjust from there. Also another thing to remember is that for every size dypsy or walker deeper diver there are different formulas for the depths. I only use walkers and they have a pretty good chart on the back that comes with all of them, but you have to add a little more depth when using metal lines such as lead core and copper. The charts will get you started though. Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Wire.

Braid is useless when the fleas are out. They are out, have been for the past 3 weeks and will continue

for another 3 or 4 weeks. Fleas will stick to your braid into a big blob and then you cant reel it in.

Wire cuts the fleas off, no problem with reeling in. Wire gets deeper as well.

depends on dia....and with twilly tips fleas peel of just like they do on wire ,,ran powerpro 6 years without a issue 50 to 100 days a season...and im on the water before light and off the water at dark..........well I used to fish till dark now i do get a little woosy after 12 to 14 hrs..maybe i starting mentopause? :o

Not trying to be rude, but there has been like 15 threads all asking about the same question. Use the search function. Tons of info on this site. Ray and band must keep copying and pasting their replies. Lol. Everyone on here is great and willing g to help but this is like the 5th dipsy thread in 3 days

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Mono is not good for long set backs on dipsies. Line stretch prevents tripping the release to retrive the rig. Mono also is thicker per test strength and thus dives less deep.

Braid and wire are about the same diameter and dive almost the same. Braid is more forgiving of mishandleing and thus, "safer" for beginners. Wire breaks easily if handleing precautions are not observed however, fleas are much easier to remove from wire than braid. Suggest you get some first-hand schooling on how to handle wire and then start with that. No schooling, stick with braid.

Well I could change my answer but then I would be lying....Yes i have replied very simular answers to a very simular questions. I don't post to misslead anyone, To make me feel important....If I ran a program and i post my results its with some conserns from certian posters here forgeting in the last 2 years i belive just from glancing at "total members" number has jumped by over 2000 new members .This is my reason for repeating the same post :::::::: "TO HELP NEW MEMBERS ",,,,,,We all started on this site on the day we signed up!!!! Yup at one time I was the one lookin for answers. I applied what I learned ,and Share what works for me with just over 6000hrs trollin ...I ant the best on the lake and not even close.. but i done brought more than one fish over the sides..

Hope this helps ya to understand my replys..

If ya tought 1 st grade for a year and for the next 20 years ,chose not to teach the next 20 classes cause ya didnt wanna repete the same stuff ..

Ray K.

Take it easy I wasn't knocking on you. Was simply stating if you search dipsy all the info and then some is there. Never said you were trying to make yourself look good or misleading people. I was giving you props

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Do any of you guys recommend mono over braided or wire line when using a dipsy?

Absolutely, and positively NOT!! Wire is the way to go, but like has been stated earlier, it takes a little learning, but nothing like experimenting and learning as you go, right? :):yes: