Black lake bound

I hate to be the guy to ask this as I just started reading this page the past two months.... What does Esox stand for or mean....Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.......

no dumb questions here...everyones gotta learn learn at some point. Esox its the genus (scientific name)for the pike family (muskie pike pickerel)

walleye on the other hand are not related and thus not esox even though they are often lumped together from a sport fishing standpoint

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Zach:I use to fish Black Lake alot for pike and bass. I never saw a muskie, but they always had either photos or mounted fish in the nearby bait shops. I believe that the largest muskie in the NYS DEC "catch and release awards" for 2009 I think was a 54 incher from Black Lake.

Sincerely,

Georged

sorry for the delay it`s been a looong week.We did`nt do great but managed afew.Ofcourse the bigger ones were seen behind my bait but they were only teasing me!One of the guys managed a 27" 10lb catfish on an xrap minnow-go figure.Most fish were caught on the last day as usuall in big bay.fish the 8,9-10fow and drift into the weeds.Most of the action came in the deeper water on the edge!!brass spoon with a piece of red tube on hook shank produced but the bigger follows came on a 6" biggame twitch`n minnow in redhorse and a 6"straight believer in perch.As i said i could not get them to take it though.Also picked up fish on a bomber long A in firetiger and mepps #5 in blk/org.Troll north of causway on left side and stay in 8-9fow and veer up the middle(picked up two there on the bomber and biggame.Fishing was so tough could`nt even find the big bull bluegills in my favorite spot-looking for a fish fry as usuall on that trip-smallies were`nt even there.

\ Zach...there are musky in there but very few and they are usually bigguns from what i see in the photos and word of mouth.I`ll go to the larry before i toss for them in black lake.

cya

sol

Just came back from Black Lake last night. Fishing was slow although some decent pike were caught as well as bass... no we were not targeting bass, I know they are out of season 8). I was up with a few non-fisherman and managed to get them into some pike as well which was cool.

Overall the fishing was pretty slow, but man that lake is beautiful. I can't wait to go back...

Our family has a crew that takes a fishing trip every year for the last 23. We used to hit a variety of places but pretty much do 3 years at Black Lake then 3 years at Champlain. Tomorrow we head to Black Lake and fish hard until Monday afternoon. 3 sessions per day with 9 guys and we log a good 9 hours or so a day casting our as* off. I will let you know how we do. We always get plenty of Pike and each day the winner is close to the 30 inch range. We get a few Waldos each trip as well and lots of Bass. We only cast and use everything from Spinner baits to Jointed Rapalas and tons of Rat-L-Traps and Spoons. Local guy in Rochester makes Poonie spoons which are great. Looks like we'll get rained on but we will still be out there and I will let everyone know how it goes.......