Hot Lure: NBK

Trolling Speed: 2.4-3.1 sog

Down Speed: 2.2-2.6

Boat Depth: 60-100 fow

Lure Depth: bottom (90-100fow)

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Second trip of the year and only lakers to show thus far. Fished on Tuesday but I was stubborn and stuck to a king program only to change to a laker program later in the morning and stuck only one fish in my final 30 minutes of trolling.

Today I was also stubborn and wanted kings, but I'm not sure many are around in tight so my first two hours were wasted again with my king program. I was also hesitant to head out deeper b/c of the thick fog. Started on a NW troll and the screen was barren and the water ice cold so I changed to a laker program around 9:30AM and caught two nice lakers. Both were healthy releases although they took a little air-bladder work to get them to go back down deep.

Both fish caught on an NBK on my deep rigger scraping bottom in 100 fow. As expected the surface temp. improved as I headed out deeper, but as mentioned the fog was so thick I didn't want to play out too deep without a radar.

Seems like the kings haven't shown up yet in any great numbers in the Rochester area.

FWIW, the coast guard was responding to an apparent missing boater(s) alert out of Mexico Bay. Apparently there was some sort of distress call with an empty boat - man I hope everyone is OK or it was just a boat which blew off its moorings.....

Good luck to all this weekend,

- Chris

Nice work on the lakers! At least, you were able to find fish!

It is too bad about the thick fog. You seem to catch on to the right surface temp when you headed out north. You were wise not to venture out further with zero visibility.

I will be taking my buddies from VT and Long Island for fishing this weekend. Hope to show them how strong the kings are compared to the fish found in Atlantic ocean.

Tight lines.

I'm sure the kings, cohos and steelies were there, you just had to make it outside the fog bank and cold inshore water.

The numbers weren't great during the derby but there were some nice fish to be had.