seneca lake perch

seapro

can someone give me some advice on perch fishing in seneca. i have fished erie alot but im looking for something closer gas and time wise. need a starting point and bait presentation ,im from south of corning,ny

thankyou for any help.

seapro.

Try to you help you out here, first watch that lake it can turn rough quick, perch are tough, but when you find the jumbo's look out, anyway slow retrieve is the key, I like just a jig head with a fathead on it, drag very slowly when you hit weeds, pause for a minute,

motor oil color jigs work well, don't be afraid to go deep, good starting places are reeds point, glass factory bay, highbanks also, these are just some starting points,you can get a map, hit the drop offs also,

looks like you know perch fishing, just keep moving until you find them.. do not get disapointed, patience is the key with that lake, the perch are big. I have caught my share of 2+ pounders, a few on the wall too.. love that lake.. good luck let us know how you make out.. slow slow slow movement

If the waters are calm enough (or you have the stuff to hold your place), try jigging with any 1/4 to1/2 oz. jig with bass size grub or any kind of soft plastic body in 40 to100 fow, where you are marking small to medium sized fish....These jigs would be suspended around 30 to as much as 60 ft down. In summer and fall, try trolling with downriggers as if you were going for lakers , 50 to 60 ft down, using trolling spoons such as Millers, Suttons, NKs or whatever. You'll catch nice smallies, jack perch, and almost anything else that is down there with this technique in Seneca. Bottom line.. fish as if you were fishing for game fish and you'll pick up NICE jacks! All this is my experience toward the north end,north of say, Roy's Marina going towards the north end of the lake. I've caught some mixed sizes, with jacks, in shallower, weedy areas from mid spring through early summer using worms or other live baits in 6 to 20 fow ( along with some large pumpkinseeds, bass, and pikes and pickerel) doing this. Good luck!