Total Hits: 0

Total Boated:0

Species Breakdown:

Hot Lure: everything was ice cold

Trolling Speed: 1.9 to 3

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: from 15 to 100 fow

Lure Depth: all over

Just a very nice day with very lousy fishing.

There were about six boats out going towards Webster and back to I-bay. Only one guy caught a nice Coho and it was not me.

One of the fishermen went into I-bay and caught a boat which he towed into Mayer's Marina.

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Ahhh the humbling of the finicky fishies :( ...they make you wanna come back with a vengeance for more, just to prove you weren't doing it all wrong......hopefully they will help out with a little bit of give instead of take :)

Mark

Rolomops,

Don't feel like you were alone. Was out there with you and never moved a rod all morning. Worked in and out of the mud lines and zip.

Can only get better,

Bob

Rolmops,

Don't feel bad at all - we were out last night (3PM-8PM) and fished the mudline, green water in front of the bay, and fished from 30 fow to 150 fow and nothing,nada,zip,zilch........We gave them everything I have in the boat from surface lures to 600' of copper and nothing. It was humbling b/c I thought the fishing would be great with the NW wind.

I really don't think the fish are in the Rochester/I-Bay area in great numbers yet - unless they are way off-shore or further to the west than what we are fishing.

We marked lots of fish in the 30-50' area but not more than 5 or 6 fish when we were out deeper.

Hang in there - it can only get better.

Good luck,

- Chris

Cornelis,

Please dont be hard on yourself. Its been a tough weekend for us as well.

Yes, there was a good color break where the cold blue water met the mud line. We covered between 6 to 40 FOW and we only boated one nice brown #7 on Sunday from 7:30 a.m. to noon. We had a six rods spread including two riggers and four off planer boards. Brown took a small purple spoon off the rigger.

Last Saturday, my buddy and I worked very hard in rough conditions 2-4 footers but no dice. We only trolled for browns in the shallow water.

Hopefully, the lake would settle down and we would have a better chance finding them.

Pike Hunter

OK,

Mark your log, ready the boat and the gear. You fish enough to take something away from any time you spend on the water. Nice thing is, while lots of other guys will be just getting their seasons started, you will be in position and ready to hammer them.

Boat ran good - check

Tackle all ready and proven - check

Electronics all in order - check

All you need now is fish. That will come soon enough. Thank God you're not the guy getting towed!

Best of Luck,

Grady

It happens! Don't be afraid to check out the 30-40' waters off the river and Irondequoit. My buddy and his kids did a 20lb King out there on Sunday. Said the screen looked OK, but they only popped that one out there.

Respectfully, I understand the limitations of smaller boats as well as time constraints, but after an upwelling with ice water nearshore, your best bet is to go to the more stable offshore water.

At a minimum, you should motor out until the water begins to warm again which likely will be at least 8 miles offshore from the Rochester/IBay area. More than likely you will end up a few miles north of this point, but the action will likely be well worth the effort.

I was not out this weekend, but Sunday was probably the transition day, where there temperature inversion was disappearing and returning to normal after westerly winds on Saturday. Fishing becomes tough on those days, but the offshore water is still the most stable thru this time period and would have been the area to target once again.

There have been decent fish in the area all spring and they should have been in the 100-150 fow zone, but the conditions likely moved them much further north this past weekend.

Hans,

I always thought that with an onshore wind - i.e. it was out of the NW for two days, that the warmer water would be stacked in tight on the shoreline like it was on Sunday. How does this create a cold water upwelling onshore? I thought this would more likely occur with an off-shore breeze out of the south?

Also the weather was clear and I trusted the surface temperature maps and the further north we went the colder the water became.

Please help me understand this better - thanks,

- Chris

That huge blow we got a couple weekends ago mixed the entire lake. The lake was the same temp all over just after the blow. Another reason is the NE winds we have had on and off (seems like every other day lately).

Chris,

E to NE are what create the worst upwellings, starts in the western basin and propogates eastward. This is what happened late last week. Saturday the wind turned hard westerly, so the warmer water began stacking back to normal and continued on Sunday.

So, Friday was the real ice water onshore and the true need to move out beyond the cold water, but even on Sunday with the warmer water back, the offshore water was still going to be your most "Stable area" throughout the onshore changes.

I imagine that the same scenerio from late last week is paying out again on Monday and today. The conditions should stabilize again late in the week with the forecasts I am seeing... although we might see some more easterlies for the weekend dependent upon where these fronts end up sitting.