Need some thoughts on a repair

Hello all,

I have two pictures here. One is a shot from the back of my motor and is not that close. That one is just to give you an overall look at the engine. The second on is a close up of the problem. You will see in the close up shot that down in the somewhat half way down the picture you will see a blown out hole. Should be kind of obvious. Admittedly I know nothing about engines in anyway. A friend is telling me it looks like a cylinder area and that MAYBE a spark plug shot out. I am simply looking for any thoughts on what it COULD be. And also if you think you know what it might be, could it possibly be fixed. Again I realize you can't see this in person and I am just looking for thoughts at this point. Thank you all in advance and please send any responses to [email protected].

OhF9r.jpg

OikyS.jpg

It's the cover for the decompression bypass system that was used on late 50's early 60's pull start Evinrude & Johnson motors. The lever & spring on the left side of both those covers controls a compression relief valve for each cylinder. Bottom line one is burnt or stuck open causing heat & pressure where it shouldn't be ( under those covers ) after initial start-up.

2nd bottom line is follow Ray's advice. ;)

Bill Mayer of Mayer's marina at the Irondeqoit bay outlet has about 50 of those '57 and up 35 horse covers.He will happily sell you a used one with advice as to how to remove the old one without busting the bolts.By the looks of it yours is a 59.I am not sure that the 40 horse sixties engines had those but I do not think so

Don't panick,These old fifties engines are tough and Bill has all the gaskets.

the part is called "the outer compression release chamber" it is part#306280 the gasket underneath is part #304726.

these are 1959 part numbers for 35 horse engines and may have been superseded.

Ask bill if you can use a head and then check compression.You may want to buy a complete head and not just the blown part.

So you think it is possible this could be saved?

Without taking the head off first,that would be hard to say,The blowout could just have been caused by tired metal,but it may be something else too.So take that head off and check it out.It is a very simple thing to do,just use a bit of heat on the bolts.

Personally I would go for the repair,but that is because I own 3 '57 Johnsons and it has become a love affair.

As for needed parts,Mayer's marina has them all!