840 fish hawk down temp readings

Guys,

I am getting crazy down temp. reading with my fish hawk. I am running the new x4 probe also. Readings are from 17 to 90. I have to watch it for awhile and guess what I assume to be correct. I have tried the probe on different riggers with the same results. The down speed reading seems to be ok. Batteries are new in the probe. The display is wired directly to the batteries. The 840 display is mounted under the hard top ceiling on the port side. Not sure what I'm missing. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Coup

Do you have the Fishhawk owners manual? You can download it as a PDF from the Fishhawk website, google fishhawk electronics, there are some specific troubleshooting tips and adjustments to gain that can be made in order to "settle down" the readings. Attempt to run it on the rigger that is on the same side as the triducer, if you have say 4 riggers try it on out and down rigger not rigger off the back of the boat ( due to cone angle), also if you are running it shallow 5-25 ' down cone angle of triducer may not be picking up echos, weight of cannonball can be factor too, 12-15 lb ball at least.

Coup, Next time you go fishing, lick your thumb and index finger. Then touch the 2 sensors on the front w/ your wet fingers. It should work flawlessly after that. We had the same problem our first time using it, so I called a buddy and he told me to do this.

Hope this helps :yes:

I'll give it a shot. I've got a newer Lowrance but that could be it.

I might just go out and shut everything down, engine included, and see what it does for starters and fire one thing up at a time. It's weird how the speed is ok but temp is bouncing all over.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Coup