Snubber Usage

There is no need to use a snubber on mono, wire or braid. If you keep your drag right, have quality floro or mono leaders in the correct poundage, there is no need. IMO snubbers = lost fish.

Ditto what Gambler says. Especially off the boards. It's bad enough trying to get a good hookset by the time the fish takes up the slack. I gave up on snubbers about 3 years ago and haven't had a break off yet. ;) Set your drags loose & you won't have any problem.

Loose drag to the point of slight line let-out at trolling speed, or a bit tighter?

711, when you say add a sinker, that is in place of a minidipsey correct? At troll speed, how do you determine what weight to use to acheive a desired depth? Are you using a 3 way swivel to attach the sinker?

Thanks,

Greg

I keep the drag so it clicks every once and a while. I have releases made up that keep the wire from clicking out. Once the fish hits, the release falls off. I connect mine to the rod holder so it does not get in the way when you are reeling.

If you don't have the releases set up, you can half hitch 2 - 1/16 rubberbeands around the wire and then put the rubberbands around the reel body(not the handle or some rookie will make you very mad when he reels the wire around the reel handle).

snubbers as i was always thouhgt were not so much for the intialshock on the hookup but to act as a buffer to help keep the hooks from ripping lips during the fight (headshake).. with or without a snubber the hookup is the same with proper set equiptment,,as i type this it has occured the ratio of shakeoff on copper during the retrieve is more than my dypsy setup (almost 0) ...............maybe this year ill try a snubber on the copper

as far as using them on top or off boards id say dont do it well id say its not needed.......

good idea on the cores with the steelies soft lips ,,,,,,,if ya think about it a fish 300 ft back sheaking its head is more likly to experiance a little slack at the hook due to the long line ....did ya ever notice you loose more fish in bumpy water with a good rockin boat (unable to keep constant pressure) but with the snubber only 8 ft from the fish it helps keep pressure on the hookset.......................but hey im just a rec fisherman with no clothes..............................

Buffy

Depth is hard to judge with a sinker. but if use the angle of your line to the water and how much you have out do the math and it will get you close. You may be able to find a trig chart to help out with this. I meant an inline weight like a keel sinker or a twist on (rubber core). These are usually for us guys without a leadcore or copper setup.

HUH you buffy fish too!!!! HEH HEH :lol:

Ps. I have come to like the clear snubbers single or double twisted ,,kinda pricy and they seem like a sallmon would break one but all of mine have held up to fish fights its the kinked or overreleased (nick) wire that tend to get rid of mine,,,,, :(