surface temps

I finally got my planer board (BIG JON otter boats) situation together so that everything works great. I can now control everything from the cockpit easily. I am running the BIG JON mast and motor driven spools way forward on the hull of the Bayliner 2302 Trophy and high up. I am able to fish three rods on each side with the boats way out to the end of the tether all at different depths and with stick baits and spoons. I fished this set up for 6 hours yesterday without a bite at the south end of Seneca. The surface temp was around 50 degrees mostly and I fished in close and over 100-200 FOW also. I trolled at 1.8 MPH and moved up to 2.7 MPH as the day went on. Nothing! No fish...no bites and no understanding of why this top line fishing is not working with these surface water temps. I finally let the rigger down to 125 with a flasher fly setup and soon boated an 8 pound laker. I do not understand what is going on. Are the fish all deep with 50 degrees on top?

Good luck to all this weekend,

AC Holmes

The top bite has sucked for me also. The water is starting to set up a little. I measured about 50 degrees from top down to about 35 feet deep yesterday on Cayuga. Then it starts to drop and is about 42 down at 100 feet.

I did catch a few LL's on the south end of Cayuga on lead core/spoons and flat lining with deep diving sticks. Nothing on top with straight flat lining though.

On cayuga we've had success trolling up the east andwest shore. I fish the skinny water no more then 70 ft deep for the boat w/ planers out to each side. Once you see bait start making circles. We abandoned the south end 3 weeks ago and still hit the bows and LL pretty good both days last weekend. I have been running flat lines w/ stickbaits and use from 1 to 4 split shots. Our best times last weekend was 10am to 11:30am. 2 colors down the shoot also worked. riggers ran shallow also took fish. Basically we got really lucky and put together a fantastic program. Hopefully we can do the same this weekend.

Mower

I am new to some of the planer/otter board techniques, but the way I have fished lead core is as follows:

Four colors backed up with mono or braid...let the colors out and however much backing you need, usually 100 feet is plenty and hookup your release to the backing. I usually use 12 or 15 feet of 15 lb. leader and a small swivel that will go through the guides and level wind so that you do not have to hand line the fish into the net.

Works for me usually...but not so good lately

AC Holmes