Penn Yan Boat Owners

I brought my new to me boat up to Oswego a couple week-ends ago and I have a couple of questions for any owners of Penn Yan boats. I have never owned a fiberglass boat before but it seems to me that the boat at trolling speed has a bow heavy feeling to it. I did have trolling bags in but when we used the wash down the water did not run back toward the scuppers but ran toward the bow of the boat. We only had 2 people on the boat so it wasn't overloaded. I just have extra poles and tackle in the cuddy. I just am wondering if I am missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dear FM,....Ditto Time Out......What model, year, length, beam, engine...or engines...drive combo, fuel tank and third tank? location? Some of the 26ft.hardtop models were bow heavy. The factory added ballast to some of these boats at the stern......(poured concrete....had to see it to believe it..., BAD IDEA!

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

Dear Fish Magnet,

If you haven't already, add a second battery as far to the stern on either side of the engine. Only run a 1/2 tank of fuel and be sure and store your rigger weights in the stern area. I believe that the HT has altered the balance of your boat because of the lighter engine (4.3 V-6). I believe a V-8 powered boat would definitely improve the balance. I would go the Penn Yan owners website and state your problem also. I will bet this boat planes easily without hydraulic trim tabs? Not much help but you are gaining boat handling knowledge. And always water test a boat before you buy one. All hulls have different handling characteristics. This knowledge will be very usefull when the lake gets rough! You are located where the highest waves have been recorded in Lake Ontario...Oswego....

Respectfully submitted,.........Jet Boat Bill

Burt-

Don't give up on your Penn Yan they are a great boat! I owned several aluminum boats in the past,(including a GLS Sea Nymph) before owning my 92' Tournament 212. First you are going from a lighter al. boat to a fiberglass boat,you are really going to feel the difference. Weight,steering,planing etc will all feel different. Take a look at the boat at rest in a slip or a calm day and see how balanced it is in the water. You probably have a good idea from the water line on the bow. You can make adjustment in equiptment from there. You do have a hardtop compared to mine being canvas,which will make a difference,but the 4.3 should be plenty of power.Make sure you have the correct prop pitch 19" to obtain WOT rpms and hole shot. Trim tabs will also change things. Keep in mind as other said,extra battery in stern,equiptment location,fuel,persons on board etc. Most important get comfortable handling boat on L.O. And don't overload it. Here are a few of mine last fall in the water to give an idea of where is sets on water.

eeZni.jpg

ef0Sr.jpg

Thanks for the replies it looks like I need to move any weight I can to the stern of the boat. Glenn the pictures of your boat really helped, the pin striping on the bow is about where the water line is on mine when it was sitting at the dock. So it looks like I am sitting at least 6-8" lower in the bow with the hard top. The boat does pick right up and go there is not a power problem. Will trim tabs really help at 2.5 - 3 mph speeds? If so I will definitely be looking to put them on.

Dear F.M.

Hydraulic trim tabs will only help you getting over the hump and on to plane. Also work well when trying to run head on in to rough seas at 10 to 12 mph. Keeps the bow down!! If your boat planes easily now, that would tell you that your balance point is probably directly under the helm. The majority of 21 ft. boats do not need trim tabs unless you are heavily loaded.

Respectfully submitted,

.....Jet Boat Bill

FM, my 21ft hard top trophy had the same problem.. i added a second battery to the engine compartment and also kept any spare supplies in the (baitwell) in the rear of the boat. it seemed to help. good luck and tight lines nick

Isn't there an anchor locker on the fore deck? Anything in it?

Anything forward of the bulkhead will likely put you bow down without counter balance in the stern.

The boot stripe runs about 8" above the actual waterline on the bow of our fully loaded 225, so I would imagine your stripe would be a good gauge.

You don't have a forward bilge, but there is drains all the way back from the v-berth.

John