it's never too late

missed the opening week due to fishing the spring derby for the first time or at least opening day anyways so got a late start on the turkeys. after more than 2 weeks of trying to lure in the only mature gobbler that i new of on our block in hilton i finally connected this morning.this bird probably didn't move much more than 500 yrds for the past 2 weeks and had no interest in my calling or decoys or anything except the hens he usually was already grouped up with.even actually got to watch him breed a few from a couple hundred yrd. away a few times.this morning was different.he gobbled away in his usual roosting area right from the jump so nothing to get excited about. but about 6 a.m. the hens came off the roost from the other side of me yelping like crazy.so i st.arted to chime in and for the first time he started moving closer.fortunately the hens beat him to my decoys and had some tense moments as i literally had them walk by me within 5 ft. and new if i spooked them it"d be over.shortly after he came gobbling and marching in from the opposite direction...alone... :) ...and it ended up being one of my best and amazing hunts ever...

10 inch beard

plPB9.jpg

pl6HA.jpg

Yup...it feels like a twenty one pound laker to me!... :D .....actually I did weigh it :)

AMghA.jpg