First post-downrigger balls, cable noise and more...

Hello fellow fishermen. I've been lurking here for quite a while, and now have a couple of questions. I've been learning how to use my downriggers this spring (after owning a portable walker for several years), and I'm quite pleased with the results so far, my average catch rate has gone from 1 fish every 2-3 hours to 1 every 20-30 minutes (when they're hungry).

I live on a small lake in Maine and fish out of a 16' Lund WG DLX. Our lake has salmon (atlantics) and togue (lakers). Mostly small fish. I just bought a cannon easy troll, much easier to handle than the walker. My first question is, what type of downrigger ball should I get to minimize blow back? My trolling speed is usually around 2.3-2.4 mph, and I'm using a chamberlain release. My second question is there anything that can be done to reduce the whining the cable makes? It doesn't seem to bother the fish, just me.

Any way- great web site. I've learned a lot reading through some of the posts. No doubt I'm going to have to make a few trips out the Lake Ontario to give the big fish a try.

I use 10 to 13 pound weights on my Scotty electrics. The 10's and 13's are some of the old "Slim Darter" weights which are kind of torpedo shaped and create less blow back. I also use a 12 pound round ball which I like better when bumping bottom. I'm not sure what your riggers will support but I'd use at least a 10 pound if it's rated for that much.

As for the cable noise, I don't know of anything that will stop it. Like you, I think it bothers me more than the fish but you just get used to it.

How does the Chamberlain release work on small fish? Do they trip it? Can you tell if one is dragging? I tried different releases like those that I call "in-line" releases and had a hard time telling if a fish was dragging as most of the small fish wouldn't trip the release. I went to the releases like the offshore pad type release so that I could see when one was on (the rod starts jumping). They don't very often pull the line out of the release on their own. I never tried the Chamberlain though.

Oh...and be warned that if you travel from Maine out to Lake Ontario, you will be hooked forever! I started in 1990 and I just can't stop! It will get in your blood and there's no cure for it.

Thanks for the reply mickey, the easy troll is rated for 8 pounds, I don't remember the weight of my ball, but I guess 6 lbs. I'll probably go with an 8, but don't know the best shape, ie pancake, or those fish shape things I've seen.

The chamberlain works great, It's adjustable down to pretty light pull, I keep mine with the adjustment screw turned out 3.5 turns, which should give me about 0.8 lbs to release it. The small lakers sometimes don't trip it, but salmon usually do. A lighter setting doesn't seem to get as good a hook-up ratio. My rod has 20lb power pro which also helps.

Being an in-line brings up another question about balls. Is there a shape that is less prone to the side-to-side track the ball does. I assume the pad type that attaches to the rear of the ball tracks straighter. Anyone try the fish shape weights?

I hear ya on getting hooked on fishing LO. I fish saltwater and fresh, and there's only so much time to fish. The only cure is more fishing...

Yes, I'd go with the 8 pound weight if thats what it's rated for. As for the shape, I haven't used the fish shaped ones enough to remember if they decreased blow back as compared to the finned round ball or if they track back and forth much. I had some a long time ago but don't any more. Once I got the slim darters, I never used anything else that much except for the finned round ball when bouncing bottom. Thanks for the info on the Chamberlain. I think I'll try one.

Dog - Welcome to the site.

Any of the elongated weights, such as the fish shaped ("herbies") or torpedos by Atommik will give you less blowback than the balls, especially the coated balls. Sharks & Pancakes also work well but you have to be careful about adusting their fins or they may give you some good tangles.

Attaching your release to the rigg'r line above the weight will reduce your side to side. By attaching it to the tail of the weight, it has a tendency to steer your weight. (As you turn to starboard, the weight will go to port) Use a double pinch pad release for mounting on the cable. Single pads are used more more frequently on planer boards.

As for "hum", the heavier the weight the higher the pitch of the hum. It's caused by tension on the cable. Check your mounting screws and pully connections, if anything is loose, the more you'll hum. Some rigg'rs hum no matter what you do.

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered an 8lb round ball last night from cabellas. I manage bounce off stray rocks fairly often, so I figure the round shape might hang up less often. The 8 pound ball should have less blowback than my 6 lb'er. And the hum... guess I'll just have to get used to it, since its obvious that the rigger catches a lot of fish I wouldn't catch otherwise.

Next thing to try will be otter boards.

• 1 month later...

I've gotten used to the hum. I actually enjoy hearing it. I was told years ago that the hum actually attracts fish - simulates the sound of a wounded fish. Not sure if it is true or not, though. Has anyone heard that before, as well?

I used to have a CannonEasiTroll manual rigger which had my subtroll probe on it and I pulled a 15 lb shark weight no problem. I use the Black's release above the probe or my weights or in your case the Chamberlain release should be above the weight.

I have discussed in length with the sound engineers here at the engineering firm I work for and they say the sound disipattes rapidly after hitting the water almost no penetration past a few feet. As for your setup sounds perfect for what you are doing! Tell me are you fishing Sebec or Moosehead?? Thats where I learned what trolling for togue was all about! Love that part of the country. I used to spend every summer on Lake Sebec. Good Luck to you!!! Oh we used to pull Lead cores with great success.