HELP !!!

Ok, so I tried to load my new (used) 26 seamaster on the trailer and here's what is happening, the back of the boat floats driving the bow below the bow guide and when I pull the trailer out of the water a bit to get the back on the guides I can't drive the boat or pull it up with the winch (to big). The trailer has bunks and not rollers. Would rollers help or do I have to sell the boat as I have to trailer it to get to the big water. P.S. the ramp was not that steep and can only get worse the steeper it is.

my 22 ft alum is the same ya just gotta find that "happy depth" with the bunks. just deep enuf so ya gotta winch it in place ... The pressure on mine will center it up with no side wind (or very little) if i pull out slow..or ya might need someone to hold center using the fenders as a guide ..IE: for me its about 4"from the fender to side of boat...and yer right the steep ramps or backing in too deep makes it worse ....what i do then is winch it tight pull forward a tad then as boat settles ill winch it to the right spot so my winch "eye" (on boat) is 1 in from my winch support on trailer............every boat /trailer has its happy spot so ya gotta experment a tad to figure your spot..... Not a good thing to try and figure out on busy weekend at the launch .................Tho it is fun to watch some one else to do this ................IF YOUR NOT WAITING IN LINE !!!! youll get it and yes this is normal all part of the learning curve of boating.....

Ditto what Ray said.

Consider installing keel rollers down the center of the trailer. Their slight V shape will align the boat if you can get the keel centered in the first two nearest the winch. The boat is still floating so you should be able to winch it up to the winch post. Just make sure to get the height alignment right as you want them to take a "little weight" and still have the bunks support the majority of the weight when on the trailer.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Can you adjust the bunks higher? If not I would recommend the following.

You need very sturdy guides for the back of the trailer ( sides) . This will allow the boat to be centered on the trailer even though it's floating. Crank down on the bow eye just enough to hold it close to where it needs to be, but not too, tight because as you pull it out of the water it will pivot slightly and may cause high stress on the bow eye. After getting getting it out of the water, finish cranking the last inch or so and you're done. The bunk slicks seem to work well, I don't have them, but know someone who does.

Like everyone is saying, there is a depth at which it all works, if your boat is like ours on a windy day its fun to load. Otherwise one person can do it.

If the boat is what you want, make the trailer work for you.

John

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I am going to install guides on the sides of the trailer and I may try the slides but it is a heavy boat so not sure they will work! Nothing on the trailer is adjustable!!! I may get some wobbly roller assemblies if i decide to keep the thing.

First make sure you have the right size trailer tires on the trailer. Some guys put small car tires on and that raised the trailer up makes loading hard, second before you do all the other stuff (do put the guides on it though) get a stronger and bigger winch, thats the cheapest way to fix the problem. I have a 9000 # electric, and that fixes most problems.

I always start with the top of the trailer fenders just barely covered with water. That seems to be a real good place to start. Gives you a good visual reference. Adjust to find that sweet spot from there. Most boats I ever launched seemed to be very close using this a s a reference. Good luck. :yes:

The condition you are running into is putting the trailer too deep in the ramp and can be caused by an extremely steep ramp as well, however you said that was not the case. The front bunks should be just sticking out of the water when you back in to pick up the boat. If the FRONT bunks are "set" meaning, they are positioned by the boat after you launch when the boat comes off the trailer on it's own without backup power and they do not tip up or down,,,, then it should slide up on the trailer front bunks and the pulpit should be on it's way up over the winch on the trailer with a little power from the drive on the boat using the same ramp you launched from. It will take a little experimentation to get the combination just right. but I always have to winch the boat the rest of the way to the bow catch,,,,which is what I do after out of the ramp while the bunks are still wet. You can hook the safety chain if there is the fear of the boat backing off the trailer when pulling out but it will generally be just for a more confident feeling as I have never experienced a boat sliding back coming out of the ramp.

Mark

Thanks again for all the suggestions! One question I have is, is there not a chance of ripping the ring out of the bow if I get a power winch? I really don't want to get that hook and ring in the head, I'm thinkin that might hurt a bit.......... ;( .

If the boat is in good shape, (it would really need to be bad) it will be fine, unless the boat will not slide on the bunks it has, most bunk material is made to be slippery when wet, or you replace it with a plastic that dose slide. It really should be simple and easy to do with a little practice, but the fact is the more you have to float the boat the harder it is to get it on the trailer right. I like trailers with rolers, and thats all I would use becasue of some of the problems your having, but you could make it work by going through these few things. Have you made sure the tires are not to big?

Actually the boat is in great shape! But no it does not slide very well, it is my fifth boat and third stern drive but is the biggest yet! last cuddy was a 21 foot Century and it did have wobbly wheels and was a dream to load,just drive it on. This one at about one foot from the bow guide will not move even when using the winch and it has a four inch strap! The trailer has four sets of carpet covered bunks about four feet long which do tilt four ways so I was thinking of replacing them with either woobly wheels or rooller bunks but am scared to price them..... :o . The wheels are dual 15 inchers so I don't think there too big they are the same size as my 16 foot Campion (which is for sale by the way!!!). It was such a nightmare trying to load it last time (real busy) I haven't tried again, its sitting at my dock on Loughborough Lake, which is not where I intended to use a 26 foot boat. To bad Lake Ontario is 10 miles away!!!! I am plannig to try again and see if there's some fish out at the Main Ducks. I hope the ramp is not to busy and I have a chance to experiment a little instead of driving home with the boat a foot away from the guide!!!!