5/29 - Well, today was embarrassing. I woke up to my customer standing behind my boat wondering where I was. I thought they were coming on Sunday, but he booked Saturday. It was all good as my brother and I rushed to get the boat together, and ready for this charter. I knew the Cohos were all over he Niagara Bar, so we broke the pier-heads at 5am and rolled down to the bar. We were one of the first boats there and the bite was fast and furious for the first hour. We boxed 3 in the first hour and then we went flat. The Cohos would come in spurts of 2-4 fish at a time and we would end the day with a nice box of Cohos for John and his family.

Our program today consisted of a few short short cores off our otter boats, short wires and slide divers, and three downriggers. Hot set-ups for today were A-TOM-MIK Coho flies in the Ludington and Blue/Green color schemes behind Dreamweaver mini spinnies. Also, a Dreamweaver Get-r-done was taking shots as a slider on our 45 rigger.

DSCN0500.jpg

5/30 - It was just me and my brother today. We had heard that there were some Kings around, but the bite was very early. So, I woke up at 4:30, and we were leaving the pier-heads a little before 5. We went straight out and set up in 70 feet of water. Screen wasn't great, but we started to set lines. It didn't take long at our 400 copper started to freakin' scream! I handed the rod off to my brother and he began his battle with this fish that would last for a good 25 minutes. As it got close to the net I could tell it was a nice fish, but I had no idea how nice it really was until it hit the deck of the boat. Immediately we put it on the scale and it settled at 29.0 pounds. My brother said he wanted that silver Spring King on his wall so we ran in and put it on ice. We ran back out to the same area and set lines once again, and we began a slow pick for the next hour and a half. We would boat another King around 14 pounds, and two other Kings in the 5 pound range. At 8:30 we called it quits and went in for some breakfast. The big guy took a Smart Fish wonder dot towing an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist, two of the remaining three fish took a wonder dot Smart Fish towing an A-TOM-MIK shredded Hammer, and the last one took a Northern King THAT spoon. All in all it was a great morning and a good weekend at the Wilson Boat House marina. When we dropped the fish off at Mountain Man Taxidermy he measured it at 40" from the nose to the bottom of the 'V' in the tail. The girth measures out at 25". I can't wait till August and September are here so we can fish for true 40 pound Kings in Lake Ontario.

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0512.jpg