Driving through Rochester

All I have to say is wow. I didn't get to fish this weekend but did go out to Olcott to get the boat today and bring it back East. From the time I got off the Thruway on 490 until I turned from 104 to 98 in Childs, it seemed like there was a dead deer on the road every 4 or 5 miles. I've never seen anything like it before. I saw more roadkill deer today than I would see in a whole year around home in Oneida and Madison County. No wonder you guys have so many doe permits. Those anti's must really keep the auto body repair shops happy.

If it weren't for the cars, we would have so many yearlings come fall. Every May when the does have their fawns, the yearlings get the boot and it seems like the only thing they learned was how to run across the rd. Seems like its lasting a little longer than normal this year. Started seeing them at the end of April, and am still seeing them.

• 1 month later...

I think more deer are killed in the month of May than any other. If you drive thru Pennsylvania at that time of year it is astonishing at the amount of dead deer ( about every 2 miles). Usually they are does that are hit. Not sure if they get goofy when they are still carrying young (late droppers), or its the old expression " the grass is greener on the other side of the road", or if they are getting bit by bugs. Maybe because they are milk ladden they need supplements to their diet, like road salt.

It might have to do with the budget cuts in NY state.

The dead deer pick up contractors normally get paid per deer,but the state has not paid them for quite a while now.