Species Breakdown:ATLANTIC

Hot Lure: DREAMWEAVER SS NBK

Trolling Speed: 2.6

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 70

Lure Depth: 45

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

Well....I thought I wasn't going to fish today since Chris and his G/F Erin were worn out from yesterdays hot sun. They did get toasted pretty good so I wasn't gonna pressure them to get out there today.....but....I hadn't counted on Lois.

Lois is Cher's friend and... well mine too, and she loves to fish. So we hadn't heard from her if she was going to actually go today, but when the door of the bedroom flew open and she wanted to know why the skipper was still in the sack at 6am and not getting the boat in the water, well heck let's go for it. So off to Point Breeze we go.

Ran down to Shadagee to see if there was still a good picture and man was there a picture. Bait and fish all over the screen and good color being pushed on shore by the N/E wind. Along the way we noticed a lot of fish in the 40 to 70 FOW range, so we set up about mid way from Johnson's to Shadagee. Two riggers and two dipsy program. Wasn't long before the starboard rigger fires off and Lois hollers "FISH ON" ...wow that was loud and there she goes after it. She reels the fish to the side of the boat and I am shocked...man is that an atlantic? Well after it is on the deck I am 99% sure it is after all the posts on here of atlantics with pictures. I have never seen one in person as of yet so this is a first for this guy. Weighed on my hand scale a shade over 16lbs and measured 30.5 inches. Muttered to myself.."might be a coho but I don't think so with the small head and white mouth". The scales are thick and staying on the fish, the markings are x's.....sooo..I took many pics and they are here for scrutiny. They are from my cell camera and the framing is not good but they are clear. Lois may be able to send me pics from her camera later too. Was the only hit and fish of the day but it was a nice 3 hour tour anyway. Mainly.... Lois was happy and that made the day for me.

Mark (PS CLICK THE PICS TWICE TO GET A CLEAR IMAGE SIZE)

====================

yYymJ.jpg

Lois pulling hard on the Blue Diamond rod

yYARS.jpg

Hoisting the prize...

yYFR9.jpg

yYIli.jpg

I've never gotten a fish mounted, so I guess it could still be done as a replica. I have it on ice still, and can have better measurements taken yet. Just not sure of what it takes to mount a fish. I'll have to try calling around and see. If anyone has a suggestion near Point Breeze, let me know. Thanks, Mark

Mountain Man is right in Kendall. I just got our 32lb King from Labor day and he does a nice job. Streeter in Wayne does nice work also. Paul Czarnicki who participates on this website does fantastic work. He operates Tri-State taxidermy.

Mountain Man is right in Kendall. I just got our 32lb King from Labor day and he does a nice job. Streeter in Wayne does nice work also. Paul Czarnicki who participates on this website does fantastic work. He operates Tri-State taxidermy.

Thanks Rick, I will consider those.

hey bud i hate to burst your bubble but that is not an atlantic, its a brown trout, very easily distinguished. Before you get it mounted the jaw protrudes past the eyes, which atlantics do not, atlantics have large and few sppots where this BROWN has many smaller spots on a light background. This fish also has a solid, and thick caudal peduncle, which is the area from the adipose fin to the tail...This is clearly a brown trout, take a close look at it, and think about getting it mounted...it is still a very nice brown but it is not an atlantic...sorry. The atlantics are brighter, and have a snout that does not ever protrude past the eyes, and has a long and narrow caudal peduncle rather than a short and thick one. Not trying to prove anyone wrong or anything but i am a conservation major, and this is no way an atlantic salmon, its a brown trout, without a doubt

I guess it could be a brown. I'm not seeing the pronounced X's and the tail doesn't look forked at all. We caught one last weekend and you couldn't miss the X's.

I'm not posative either way. Just leaning towards a Brown.

Looks very much like an Atlantic in the hanging picture and more like a Brown in the cooler. I've never had a problem identifying the difference and I'd like to think if I were on the boat, I could tell easilly but in the different pictures, it looks different. I found the following information which won't help in this situation but might in future situations for people who have a hard time telling the difference:

Identification of Salmon and Brown Trout

The most obvious difference between salmon and brown trout may be found in the head and tail areas. Knowing them may help the angler release a fish more quickly when certain creel and size restrictions apply. On salmon, the vomerine teeth are small and arranged in single row on shaft, few to none on vomerine head. On the Brown Trout, the vomerine teeth are well-developed on both vomerine head and shaft, arranged in a zig-zag row on shaft. On salmon, the caudal fin may be slightly forked and on the brown trout, the caudal fin is square and unforked.

SdvHi.jpg

The information about the forked tail is a little misleading I think. When the Atlantics get bigger, they loose most of that fork. I've caught quite a few of them on Lake O and a lot of them in the Penobscot River in Maine and that fork in the tail is hard to see when they get bigger.

It does look like it could go either way...

The closeup of the head looks like the jaws may not extend beyond the eye, but the full cooler shot and hanging from the Boga look like it could be a brown.

The cooler close up "head" shot also show that snicker looking kype on the upper jaw more reminiscent of an Atlantic.

Well I was looking for some scrutiny here, but not for the difference between a brown and atlantic salmon. I have caught hundreds of browns and they do not look like this fish. Browns have many densely populated spots that are round in shape. Atlantics have sparsely populated spots that are irregular in shape, X's and Y's. Also the brown trout has more of its spots below the lateral line and Atlantic has few below it. The brown trout has a much larger mouth. Also this fish ended up being table fare since the lady who caught the fish was not in the market for a mount....so as I was filleting the fish I noted the color of the flesh being pink. Browns have almost always been very Orange in flesh color.

Article in D&C on Atlantic comeback http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... ke-Ontario OUR OWN JERRY FELLUCA :clap: he knows what they look like...a big fish in his box :yes:

aeAFr.jpg

From Lake O this is an Atlantic

aeD9A.jpg

which is this

aeFEJ.jpg

which is this one

SDoZJ.jpg

one side on the boat

SDtZ0.jpg

other side on the boat....the fish....Lois is not the fish :lol:

I am sure it is the Atlantic Salmon. No more 1% doubt

I'd have to agree. Spent the greater part of my adulthood chasing landlocks and they differ slightly on strain. This looks like a similar strain used on Lake Champlain. With the Province of Ontario stocking over 1 million Atlantics (2007-2009) into the Great Lakes in the last 3 seasons, it appears they are beginning to show in the creels.

Nice 'Lock!

Either way it is an amazing fish, i was just trying to put my perspective on it becuase it doesnt necessarily "define" either an atlantic or a brown, seems almost like a mix between the two, wouldnt that be somethin (although impossible for natural reproduction). Nice Fish though, im quite jealous!!!!!!

Its a brown, look at its shape and spots, 100% a brownie.

Ok, it is clear that there is the possibility that one statement given in the article link posted above is absolutely true and that is................."It's a gorgeous fish and there are probably more Atlantics being caught. Guys that don't know are calling them brown trout. They have similar (black) spots; the difference is the Atlantics have the forked tail."................and........."It was certainly an unusual year," DEC aquatic biologist Jana Lantry said. "And if all the Atlantics were properly identified the catch rate would actually be higher than what we were able to calculate."

None the less as FHF said, "It is an amazing fish", and I am glad to have witnessed it being caught by a good friend. I have some reservations on harvesting this species from this point on. I believe they need every chance to get a stronghold on the fishery so that they are as plentiful as the other salmonids that abound in our Lake Ontario. They are somewhat endangered in the Atlantic Ocean and seem mostly to be frequenting the fresh waters of Maine for spawning as a wild salmon. Recent findings have indicated that they may be entering the Hudson River as well. Size and creel in Lake O are probably set right for them at one fish 25 inches minimum. These fish do return to spawn many years in succession as do the steelhead. They can live up to 10 years and attain a great size.

Mark

Skipper - I just saw this. Nice fish. :yes::yes::clap:

I vote Atlantic, however FairHF is correct that the way to eliminate all doubt is to look in the mouth. If it does not have well developed, 2 rows of teeth down the center of the roof, it's an Atlantic.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks everyone for your inputs here. I think this has been a great way to help in identifying the correct species. It should be beneficial to those who have not seen an Atlantic and have trouble identifying them from the brown trout.

After all, no one wants to get a surprise back at the dock with 3 brown trout 15 to 24 inches long and find out from Mr. DEC officer otherwise that they are in possession of under size Atlantics and too many of them...OUCH!!!! in the wallet :$;( a