what is the advantage of a bow mounted mast over center mounted? we just got a new (to us) penn yann and needs to be set up. i want to do this right the first time. any other set up trick or ideas would be great also.thanks.

The only difference I could think of would be interfearing with your rods. A buddy can atest to that. He decided to mount his Big Jon mast behind the windshield(so he wouldn't have problems reaching the lines). Well he found out that when he makes turns he has to do them so slow because the board lines will get fouled with his rods. My two cents, I have enough crap in the fishing area, rods, downriggers, net, boxes, that if I can move anything out of the way I will.

Bow mount. As far forward as you can get it and still work with the lines. As mentioned in the previous post the board tow line will hit your rods in turns the further towards the back the mast is mounted. Also mount the mast as high as you can for a couple reasons, 1 the release slids out quicker. 2 the tow line will stay clear of the waves better in rough water.

I run tag lines off the planer line to the working part of the boat. This way when you want to set a line just pull the tag line to you and the planer line is now at the back for you to attach the release and send it out. release the tag line and the planer line returns to it's normal operating position.

Spike