Fair Haven 5/27 & 5/28 w/Pics

The fishing out of Fair Haven continues to be really good. I spent Saturday in town with my family getting the camper set up for the season and doing lots of little projects on the boat like oiling the teak and FINALLY organizing the cuddy cabin. I needed a day to take care of those things that have been hanging over my head since the beginning of the season. While at the dock working on the boat I heard of a few Kings taken on Saturday morning with one or two 20+ lb fish reported. Needless to say, I was stoked to get out on Sunday!

On Sunday, we headed out in search of browns, and man did we find them. We worked a great piece of water and had fast action all morning long. Of course I forgot the camera on Sunday, so I have no pics from the water. We had fish take KA-BOOM Shiners in fire red and firetiger off of the boards, and our hot spoons for the day were the Dreamweaver 42nd spoon, and their new NBK. 2 colors cores pulling DW spoons took quite a few hits as well. We were working 20-35 FOW and we found the fish from the surface down to 15 feet. Best speed for us was a quick 2.7mph down speed. We found a better class of browns overall than we'd been seeing all spring. Most fish were 5-6 lbs.

On Monday, we set up over the same piece of water and immediately hooked up. For the first 45 minutes or so it was all we could do to keep our rods in the water. We were running the same spoons & sticks as the day before. Big difference was the sun. On Sunday, it was cloudy all morning and we had constant action. But as soon as the sun came up on Monday, the browns shut right down. We left our honey hole at about 6:30 and began a troll out to deeper water. We changed over to a deeper water program and were rewarded with several kings, cohos, and steelies. Again the hot ticket was that DW 42nd spoon fished off the riggers. All the fish came in the top 40' of water, with the majority of them coming in the top 25ft. Best depth for us was 100-120FOW. The chromers were in the mood for Smithwick, KA-BOOM, and Rapala sticks as long as they had orange on them. I ran a few flasher/fly rigs, but it was definitely a spoon bite for us. Biggest fish was just under 10lbs, but it won't be long now before the big boys start showing up.

We had a fantastic weekend on the water in Fair Haven. I was very pleased to see that even though we're in that transition period before the Kings really start showing up that the fishing remains excellent. If you have time, I'd say its definitely worth the trip!

Here's a few pics from the day:

MemorialDayweekend2007013.jpg

MemorialDayweekend2007004.jpg

MemorialDayweekend2007007.jpg