releasing mortally wounded fish

I just want to get opinions on releasing under legal size fish that are sure to die. A gill hook for example. Over the weekend we caught a couple small fish that took the stinger hard and at least one of the hooks got into the gills on most of the fish actually tearing the gill on the way to the boat. Wasn't even sure what kind of fish they were and didn't want to keep them out of the water too long to increase any chance of survival they may have. The fish looked like coho, but had a small white mouth.

I was raised to eat anything I kill/or mortally wound and it goes against the rule book to keep a fish too small by regulation. Hate to get fined for keeping and illegal fish but by the same token I really hate to release a fish sure to die. Just wondering what you guys would do?

If it is undersize, you have to release it, no matter what. Kinda sucks but that's your only option.

Look at it this way, the fish has a better chance of surviving back in the lake than it does in your cooler ;)

Tim

I don't like it at all but id may still have a chance. Or if you accidentally drag a shaker for a while and it's dead when you bring it in. It's still gotta go back, you don't want to get to the dock and get checked.

I've killed my share of fish through the years and have always considered it a "put and take fishery" if you want em' Kill em', if you don't want em', throw em' back

Within the laws of course, The law is the law !!!!

It sort of stinks to throw back a fish you "think" will only become seagull and/or crab bait

At times when fishing with family and friends "fun fishing" this same scenario does happen, I will always "throw em' back" this, if I do not have a home for em' before I left to go fishing !!!!

Sometimes if it swims away how do we really know if it would have lived or died.

Tim's philosophy should be creed for all of us !!!

Tom

I also agree with Tim. Fish may have a 1000:1 chance of surviving when released but he has absolutely no chance if you keep him.

I read somewhere that if you hook a fish really really deep, it's recomended to just cut the line & let him go.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

lord knows i hate to do it, but you have to.

otherwise, a certain few would keep any and all undersized fish they caught, and be able to tell the officer "well, he was gonna die anyway"

with bass and walleye, if you're catching just little ones, you can move away from them and try to find the keepers.

dragging spoons is not as selective.

i guess it just comes with the territory.