Track Systems

Tony,

The Cannon and Berts track have a smooth finish. They look nice, but will show scratches easily. The Traxstech track has a textured finish and is more forgiving with scratches. I have the Traxstech on my Salmon boat and really like them. I got a screaming deal on Cannon tracks for my Walleye boat and like them as well, though I think the Traxstech tracks are more heavy-duty. I also like that Traxstech uses metal end caps, unlike Berts and Cannon, which use plastic. Not sure what you are planning for holders. I went from Tite-Lok to Traxtech to Cannons. The Traxstech holders are wicked strong, but I didn't like that you had to had to loosen the thumb screws to rotate. I replaced 1 on each side with Cannon dual-axis and really liked them. It bothered the heck out of me that they didn't match, so I wound up with all Cannons (yea - I am a little OCD with my boat).

Good luck. You can't go wrong with a track system.

I just outfitted my boat with Traxtech stuff and am really impressed with all of it. I did buy a Bert's planer board mast and was not entirely impressed. When the pipe that the mast slides into was welded to the base, the base got warped and wouldn't even come close to sliding into the track. Could not have been checked before it left the factory. Either that or the traxtech track is much more beefier than the Bert's. Bought some Bert's plastic knnobs too and the plastic strips out on the threaded part really easy.

oebJS.jpg

I just put Bert's track on my boat and I like it, I like the rod holders too. My boat came with 2 Bert's holders so I too wanted to match. I got my track and 2 more rod holders from http://www.buyfishingstuff.com/berts.html, best price around for Bert's track and rod holders. Hey Jeff regarding the base issue, did you try to return it? Bert sold to Tecla a few years back and Tecla is a Michigan company in business since 1880 or something. I have to believe they would make good on the issue

Jeff ,looks Great !!!

Can't tell by looking at your picture ,but if you don't have the end caps you might want to get some . Once in a while the knobs on the my rigger mounts come loose and the stop keeps it from sliding out the end of the track when fishing or trailering. Good Luck !

JT

Ar9Dr.jpg

Fixed her up with the ol' belt sander Troutman. I did put the end caps on the back end of the track Jack. I have had a couple knobs come loose as well when trailering.

By the way, anyone in the market for manual downriggers, there is none better than the current Big Jon model. (In my opinion of course) They are built on the Brute chassis and are seriously heavy duty. I purchased from the site sponsor Lord of the Riggers and his prices just can't be beat. Hopefully Big Jon will start buuilding their planer masts with the same spool mechanism as the manual riggers.

Other item i went with on the setup was the Garmin 540S combo fishfinder/gps. Preloaded with charts and seems to be a really sweet unit. I have always had Garmin fishfinders and am really impressed with this one too.