Canandaigua 6/6

100_1053.jpg

Heading north after waiting it out...

Woke this morning to torrential downpour. Sat on the boat under the canvas til it let up a little, then rigged the boat and we got underway by 6:15 am. Set up over 165 FOW in south end. 2 wire dipsies, 300' copper, and 3 riggers. Spoons on riggers, attractors and flies on copper and dipsies. 2 wires fired first, one small lake trout, released, missed the other. Switched the "other" to a tournament tied fly to insure hook up but didn't fire again.

300' copper fired with a green revelator and chicken wing fly, lake trout just under 3 lbs.

We tried deep water and shallow but just couldn't get anything steady except the rain and wind was pretty steady. Bagged it around 11:00. Tom, Dustin, and I went over to the weigh station to see the leaderboard and check out the nice brown trouts, all top 5 places this year were held by brown trout as of 12:00 noon Sunday.

As a side note, I spoke to Steve Cowley, a chair on the derby committee, and we talked about the fact there is some confusion about the derby, since laverock here made a comment about it and a guy at the weigh station was commenting as well.

The event is the Canandaigua Lake TROUT Derby. Not just Lake Trout. In prior years the biggest fish have typically been Lake Trout. As it happens this year the largest fish being weighed are browns. Each of the top five places were big browns, I wish I would have taken a picture of the list but 15, 14, 13, 13, 12, I believe were the top places at noon Sunday.

Once again Mike we had fun! As Mike stated and a little to add Steve Cowley said that "If a Brown trout wins the derby this year, wich it looks like it will, it will be the first time in 26 years that anything other than a laker has won the derby". The 15lber and another huge brown trout that were at the weigh station on the south end were absolutely huge they both had heads on them like a rottweiler :lol: all in all it was a great time...I think people sometimes lose site of what the derby is for ...to raise money for Camp Good Days & Special Times and Mercy Flight Central..I hope all had a good time I know I did.

Take Care,

Tom

That's fantastic news on the hoss Brown's. For the browns to place as they did is more the exception then the rule. I'm not trying to be a thorn. As noted, typically lakers take the lime light. I just thought the derby layout was not equitable to all the fine salmonid species this lake has to offer.

Has the DEC done something different with the Browns being stocked? We are seeing the same trend with big Browns in Cayuga. With out a doubt, his is a fine time to be a fisherman.

Lavarock