Fishing trout & Salmon in Ontario, Sandbanks

Hi

I will came in July for vacation for 1 week in Ontario, Sandbanks. I will bring my 16' Princecraft with downrigger. I know it's a small boat for the lake and I hope I will have good weather forecast to be able to fish. I know I will not be able to fish the king.

Do you know if this website give accurate forecast about the waves height and period ?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=lo&p=a

Near of the shore, is there a way to fish salmon/trout ?

If too hard condition, I will put my effort in the Quinte area for walleyes

I started fishing in the area in a 14 ' glass - 10 miles off shore for salmon in that area. (I am nuts anyways)

Make sure you have a marine radio. Watch the weather. At that time of the year you can get in a lot of days. usually flat in the month of july. The marine radio always has weather channels so you can monitor what is in the forecast. Do not go out with out a radio.

You are not going to catch kings very often within 4 miles of shore in that area.

Check at the local tackle shop in Wellington for weather, Chris always has the marine radio on.

Hope this helps

Al

Yes, I will go to local tackle shop in Wellington before, some people suggest my to talk to the owner :)

VHF Radio: installed, but only a 3 feet antenna, i will buy a 8 feet for the lake.

What is the channel you are using to chat each other on VHF ?

I have a 17 foot sylvan and for the past two years now I have been going out on the big lake and usually run 15+ miles the only difference between us and them is we need to always be thinking about the weather and what is coming around the corner but you will find many days that are perfect and the fishing is nothing but fantastic :)

ludo,

The fish you will find are not staging off the rivers in July. They are more than likely migrating kings milling around for a while. After you catch them, send them back to NY please. As for strategies, Wire divers with Spin Doctors and Atommik flies are killer on big kings. I have heard meat rigs and fake meat rigs are popular on the North shore.

Someone has told me this, but I don't want to make a 1h ride of car only for fishing here, I will be near the sandbanks area, if I am not able to reach the king, I will fish for other species. I will bring my father in law, my goal for the week is making him catch a fish, I will be happy.

But the king, it's only for my pleasure, don't want to catch fish in a easy way.

And other question: Speed ? I saw a lot of lure suggestions, but how to present it to the fish ?

If you want more info on that area try Spoonpullers.com. Great North shore site with a lot of helpful members. trannyman is one of them. You can read the reports and get a feel for how good the king fishing is as you get closer to your trip. Good luck.

You will not find Kings at the mouth of Ganny at the date you mentioned, the fish are out more but you don't need to make long runs like at Port Credit the water gets deep quicker at Port Hope. The fish are there first and it's worth trying as I will be doing the same thing the salmon make there migration from east to west so if you want to hookup with some that's a great start.

Hey Ludo. that is all good info Gambler gave you.

Ludo are you staying at Sand Banks Provincial Park ?

The facts about Port Hope staging kings is thst they will show up earlier than at most Rivers because Port Hope is 99.99% natural reproduction. No stocking there. They usually start staging around the 8th of August. They run into the river mouth at night and then back out to 100 to 180 fow. I fished there for years and occassionally get back for a trip in August.

Ludo, maybe we'll see you aroung the Reel Thing Tackle Shop at Wellington in July. :)

Al

Hi Trannyman,

I will not be at Sand Banks Provincial Park, but at Quinte's Isle Campark.

A lot of people told be to go at Tacke Shop at Wellington. It sure I will take a look at here to complete my Lake Ontario Takle Box :) I should find what I need here ?

Quinte isle punched though an access to LO so your close to salmon point, you should have no problem at all finding someone at Quinte Isle that can set you up with all the info you need. I'm sure there are guys there that fish salmon point. When the west wind blows you just duck around the corner and your home.

• 2 weeks later...