off subject...salt water... Is the grass greener?

Anthony, Larry and I are in ft lauderdale blowing all of Anthonys winnings from the spring LOC derby. I have never been salt water fishing. We flew in at 2pm and took care of our car, room. We made a beeline for the docks as soon as our buissness was taken care of. I watched six boats come in in less than a half an hour. All six had very similar hauls. They each had five to eight fish. Dolphins made up the majority of everyones catch. The dolphins have to be just 20 inches to keep(thats a five pound fish at best). These are forty plus foot boats. They charge nine hundred dollars for an eight hour tour. I haven't even been on the boat yet, and anyone who knows me would tell you I am an optimist. I am depressed. I got to walk around the boat we'll be on tomorrow and those big penn reels I could never afford to buy for salmon fishing on lake o were paired with the roughest lookin poles you have ever seen. Most had a forty pound mono on them. Some had wire about twice the diameter of our downrigger cable. I sure hope we get ahold of somthing a little better than the five or ten pounders I saw today. I know there are some readers on here who travel and fish. Is this all there is to ocean fishing? Do you have to go alot further south to find reel game fishing? My opinion may very well change after I get to fish for the full eight hour tour. It is hot down here. I love western new york. I was getting a little bored of our fishing program after the emotional rollercoaster that the was our spring LOC. It never ceases to amaze me where inspiration comes from. I would like nothing more than to be leaving out of Lewiston heading for the bar in the morning.

I don't know much about Florida fishing but have fished North Carolina many times and on our worst day we all caught something. Small dolphin or Amberjack that we put back. On our best days we hooked Marlin, Wahoo, King's and tuna. Those big reels are there for a reason and with any luck you will find out why they have them. Good Luck.

If your going for a full day im sure you'll may get into something more than just some Mahi Mahi but they can get pretty big and are excellent eating. Pretty much all salt water fish i've caught have been scrapers. If you can get down into the golf steam or by the keys i think the Ahi and Marlin fishing is good, Wahoo as well. Hopefully your not out catching Spanish and King Mackeral all day. Good luck. Deep sea fishing is AWESOME!! :yes::yes:

If you do get into some Ahi you'll love it. Fresh Ahi is the best meat I've ever had. Make sure you try some as your cutting it up. Phenomenal!

Make sure you give a report with some pics. I'd like to see how you guys did.

those are about the smallest dolphin I have ever heard of. Sounds like you guys did'nt do much research, cause the best sportfishing down there is at the dry tortugas off the keys. I can't afford that kind of trip, but had I won the spring derby, I certainly wouldn't have chosen Lauderdale as a destination. Good luck with the trip though. You may just hook a BIG Cuda if there's that may baby fins around. Maybe next time post here BEFORE you plan the trip to get some better input. Brian

cabo1.jpg

Here is a good Bull I caught in Cabo a few years ago. Captain said it was over 60....All I can tell you is the fish fought like hell. Ive fished Florida a few times and by far the best has to be Islamorada in the Keys......Awesome inside Tarpon and Permit. Offshore are plenty of Smoker Kings, Sails and some Dolphin. I have my eye on a Costa Rica trip with the misses......One Word...ROOSTER! Every saltwater fish Ive caught has been a battle. Even a 4 lb Bonita will fight you like a smallmouth on steroids. Good luck with your trip.

I've gone down there many times. I prefer the Keys. Islamorada is a good place to start. I have learned to stay away from the big trolling boats.Most will take you for a "ride". Find a guy with a nice center console. No mate needed. Those guys can show you a fun time with sharks, cudas, tarpon, permit etc. You have to let them know what you want to do. It's all different.

Key west is the place in my opinion. From late April through summer the Tarpon are right in Key West Harbor. Very fishable, and very fun.

Plus, the town is a lot of fun.

I use 2 different guys that won't steer you wrong.

"Seize the Day" charters, and "Pepe Gonzales"

PM me if you need more.

Mike

I have fished saltwater all over from Hawaii to Maine there is no fishing that compares to tuna fishing,check out pirates cove marina's fishing report in the outer banks the best time to go is in may around memorial day weekend ! One problem with saltwater fishing is you never know how big the fish on the other end of the line is gonna be so a lot of times the gear is rigged to heavy for a nice size fish to have a fair fight . In Hawaii on my honeymoon fishing for marlins I caught a 38lb short bill spearfish on 80lb test it was an awesome fish but not much of a fight at all. The fishing is expensive but your on $600k gas guzzling yacht! the sailfish is from Mexico the tunas outerbanks. Nice bull dolphin Missdemeanor! hope your trip goes good for you and enjoy the scenery!

LwC7A.jpg

ePpbi.jpg