Lakers 1 - 1.8

Browns 2.2 - 2.5

kings / coho / steelies 2.3 - 3.2

Depending on the lures, these speeds will vary.

Mark, I'd say these are gps speeds. I think you will find that for the most part you can go 2.5+ and target most species in the Fingers. Faster speeds cover more water if you are in 'search' mode. If you are marking good concentrations of fish and they don't respond to what you are showing them, then change speeds as well as lures + drive in a 'S' pattern. -Andy

Lakers 1 - 1.8

Browns 2.2 - 2.5

kings / coho / steelies 2.3 - 3.2

Depending on the lures, these speeds will vary.

Mark, I'd say these are gps speeds. I think you will find that for the most part you can go 2.5+ and target most species in the Fingers. Faster speeds cover more water if you are in 'search' mode. If you are marking good concentrations of fish and they don't respond to what you are showing them, then change speeds as well as lures + drive in a 'S' pattern. -Andy

The speeds I posted are at the ball speeds. I don't use GPS speed. Lake O, GPS speed is useless with the currents. If you went with GPS speeds all the time on Lake O, Some days your lures would be flying or not working at all. How are the currents in the finger lakes?

If it is down speed, you probably need to post which Speed & Temp you are using. My guess would be Gambler is using a FishHawk. My Depth Raider tends to read about 1/2 MPH slower than SOG under ideal conditions. 3.2 on a Depth Raider would be flying!

Sorry if I clouded up the thread. :( I was trying to get Mark some good basic speed guidelines that he can use w/o a temp/speed monitor for trolling on the FLX. I use 2 depth raiders (high & low) on the Fingers/ big O to deal w/ both temp and current considerations. I run DR down speeds from 1.7-3.0 on the Fingers and Ontario.-Andy

Actually Andy, I think you you gave excellent advice. A few years ago I didn't have down speed & temp, or a chart plotter - just a handheld GPS. When trolling in deep water I just tried for 2.5 MPH SOG, and I did pretty well. I still find that unless currents are wicked, 2.5 SOG is pretty productive.