waneta lake musky fishing

ray, i have read most of your posts and find you most likely the funniest person on here. nice deer last year by the way, the woods are safe again! i plan on casting equal hours as trolling this year and my boat did 3 casting and 4 on trolling for the opener, almost equal #'s. i am the poster child for the a.d.d. fisherman. yes old man i find trolling at 2.5mph boring. speed it up to 5mph and on short lines (like 10 feet back) and we are talking a differant game imo. i cast mostly at night and troll mostly during the day, always have been like that. ray- you get to waneta and if i am there you don't need to worry about lures, i could even take you out and share my boat w/ you for awhile saturday if you are feeling the urge but don't bring "SLIMEY" with you? i love having a good time and laughing and i think you could make me laugh once or twice w/ you jokes.

Thank you for the offer .....im diggin out my pink panties as you read this and youll love my fishnet socks and heels....Ive been busting my butt with my boat for a week and am this close to done { }. New floor,doghouse,interior, cleaned up wireing,moved gas tanks (2 20 gal),new driver seat box with under storage,,,ohh and most important as im typing this the wiffy said "dont forget brads party sat at 3" (not that i ever would forget opps) so you should have the whole lake to yourself on a good hot saturday ,well maybe one or two jet skies off in the distance...good luck ..With that said i would like to give those muskies a try , I reallyneed to spend a few hours in my back yard for some tigers in the chemung,with my 4 hp and flatback canoe..Ive seen a couple pretty good fish in their in the last 30 pluss years...here let me give you my pm --------------PM

I`m heading to waneta tonight for a few night hrs...take a nap and up again at 3:30.Anyone else heading down for the am??give me a shout.16` white starcraft(bimini up if raining)Blk f-150 musky stiker on cap.I`ll be solo if ya wanna tag along(cast and troll).315-576-1208.

Bob S

nitro, i know you can still get on ed's boat if you want, he said there is room for you even though bob brought so much stuff w/ him on his boat. finally got a musky after years of trying on my b-day. 2 small ones and i booted another small one. casted all night and nada. slept on the boat and woke up like 10x b/c of it being so cold and wet out. trolled up those muskies and had a nice one roll on a manta jerkbait but no hooks found their way home. i also had to cut hooks outta a fish for the first time in 2 years. also saw some guys throwing big shad rap rapalas try to release a 28" and i saw it go belly up and they just left it. i asked them if they were going to work that fish to make sure it made it. they said it wasn't legal, so no. i have no idea about why you would spend time making sure a big fish made it but not a small one? weren't the big ones once small? anyways i spent about 5 minutes w/ the little guy and he finally made it and swam off right side up! i yelled at their boat and cussed at them once or twice (or 37x). they didn't like that but oh well and we finished yelling in the parking lot w/ me not backing down. happy birthday i kept telling myself when i got all worked up. nitro- you did 2? nice job! any monsters?

xfWPA.jpg

mine were both small...low 30s each. took a little reviving with those warm waters but both swam down good. ran that lure you loaned me the whole time (THANKS :yes:) what was it again? but both came on a small muskelunch off the other side of the boat. go figure

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

hey nitro- i saw 76 degree water temps. after 80 shouldn't we all stop fishing them until it gets cooler? thats what makes all the guys in kentucky and indiana stop. i hear you just can't release fish b/c they go belly up and die. what are your thoughts? if yes, we have about a week to fish waneta but will the locals stop fishing muskies down their? it could be a bad year for waneta's muskies.

almost thought that pic was of e.c. i didn't recognize you w/ that nma hat, nice fish- bob are you only fishing firetiger this year? :P did u make or buy that "floating" ruler?

if its good for you roll with it. i dont own even one firetiger but you have me thinking about getting some, i just think it is the most "overused" color out there. looks like it may be for a reason huh?

firetiger for me as well...go figure. Bob- what'd I tell ya??? 5-6am between sunrise and moon set! boy you nailed the timing on that smack dab in the middle. with the results from last week and this, I'm a believer in those peak periods of activity.

Zach, had an interesting conversation with a local (who had been spying on me with his telescope :o ) he came out after my second fish and we got to talking...he was saying if you show up at the bar at the south end and tell em you released one, they'll run you out. apparently a lot of the locals blame the muskies for bringing down the populations of other species, (which in my opinion is more related to the large scale weed kill a couple years ago, which left the young of year with no where to hide and open to all species: bass, pickerel and muskies).

also heard another couple joking to themselves while I was reviving my first one...something like if I didn't want the fish they would gladly take it :@ . speaks volumes about whether the locals would likely care about targeting them in the high temps. an aside on that- KY and IN get hotter than we do, they are lower latitude and temps get warm even deep, I suspect that the deeper water in wantea stays more reasonable, so as long as you can get them to swim down it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. just make it a quick, in-the-water release.

Spot on nitro!!!thanks for the headsup on the phase.Made sure i was on the water for it.It`s sad that the locals would`nt want to keep a strong musky population.I have heard about their COOKOUTS!!Even more reason for stocking in other waters around ny....

Firetiger baby!!! :yes:

i am all about putting real muskies in conesus. i had that happen to me last year also- someone asked me for a fish. w/ the small size limit, locals who kill alot of fish and the small size of the lake i am surprised we even get 40"ers. i am starting to wonder why the locals hate the skies. make me wish i had another lake to fish semi-locally. i hate the rednecks and their ruining of the fishery that i want to do well.

I have to say zach that I was thinking the same as you...sure explains why its such a different fishery than chaut...lots of 40s there but few at waneta. I'm holding out for the DEC giving us a variety, like a river/ lake system. seneca river system sounds good to me! ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

i am thinking about hitting waneta less now that i am sort of upset of the situation down there. chaut is loaded w/ 40"ers and at waneta it is alot more tough to connect w/ one that size. i think next time out i am going back to chaut and will probally do 2x as many fish w/ a chance at an actual good one unlike waneta. i am getting burned out trying to educate the locals who dont give a rats ass about the fishery they have. i wish the state would consider another lake also to stock semi-locally to rochester. we all have seen what has happened in areas where they introduced them in minnesota. people travel and spend big money to get a shot at a big fish and this could happen here. its starting to look like there is only one real musky lake in NY. waneta get hammered so bad all summer i am suprised we catch anything. its a love/ hate thing i have going on right now. love waneta/ hate the locals. look at lake webster in indiana. it is a small lake like waneta but kicks out great #'s and big ones. difference is they take care of it. if we stocked them in the genny, they would have access to the lake and its the biggest trib other than the oswego on this side of lake o. would be neat to have them in there eating all the salmon. oh well- just a dream that will never come true. think of the looks you would get putting a steelie on a quick strike rig. :*

Maybe its because they eat those rare baby ducks,and geese.

Or someone got scratched by one back in 1942 and the story has grown as to how they can take down small boats,,,,Like jet skies :clap: ..

Yup just a few years ago 4 kids were attacked by a school of flesh eating Musky's,nuttin left but their life jackets!!