A quick question/comment for you all-

The other day I was at Dicks shopping for some walleye stuff (I have a new walleye obesssion that I can't explain). I casually was talking to one of the salesman about what he fishes for- his response- bass, pike and walleye. So I asked the guy "in what lake are you getting the eyes". He says "what do you think I have gullible written onmy forehead" and walks away. Nothing more, very rude. This seems to be common when talking about eyes in general from what I can see. Noone divulges anything. I dont understand it. It got me thinking...

I know that I am not this protective of my fishing knowledge. If someone asks about our trout/salmon, I will bring them on my boat and show them exactly what I am using. From my experience, us lake O trollers aren't too bad, though there are some guys that will get quite uppity with their info. These are big lakes with MILLIONS of fish. Whats with the attitudes of some people? I understand the silence around tourneys, but otherwise it makes no sense. Do people think that they are entitled to fish and noone else is? Do they think that sharing their knowledge will reduce their takes? Is this only with certain types of fish, or a universal thing? Do you think that we are good stewards on lake O? Are people on other lakes, ie the finger lakes, more protective? The mere existence of this website would indicate that we are good stewards of our lake.

Maybe I am too nice...

there are always many guys that wont share their info on any species...most of the guys on here are very willing to help someone out.. guess thats why they are members here... i know its done my own fishing a world of good with the knowledge here on this site...

my opinion if ya need a pair of sneakers go to dicks

if ya need fishing gear go to a local sport shop... better equipment/selection and good info mostly

I think you find those attitudes everywhere in most endeavors. Some people are all about one up man-ship. A condition of our society. Knowing you are not going to catch every fish in the lake or shoot the biggest deer in the woods is knowing why you are there in the first place.

I feel your pain! We are typically only a weekend warrior boat, and if it wasn't for information from others then it would be a lot harder to find fish on Saturday mornings. You have no idea the crap people like Bill V and I have taken over the years for being on here and sharing information. I even had dinner with a guy who smashed LOT's. Ignorance! His thought was that tools like LOT's and LOU teach people how to fish hence he loses business.

I have come to learn one thing about the people who work at places like Dicks and Gander Mountain. They are no better fisherman than we are, and in many cases well below our skill level. Explain how you can fish and become good when your working on the weekends? Many of those people are students with part time jobs, or adults who need another income. Your best bet for getting questions answered is right here! This has to be the BEST forum for the entire great lakes.

On my trip up last year to Oswego, we were talking to a couple of guys on the dock. A couple of retired guys getting away for a week of fishing.

We were coming in every night with 3-4 fish and they were getting blanked.

Hell- I went and pulled my rigged rod of our boat - showed them our setup.

I even took their flies- re-tied them with shorter leaders and setup different paddle colors. They went with us on a trip to Fat Nancy's.

We set them up with what we were using. They followed us out that night and mirrored our trolling patterns.

They got into 3 fish that night after 4 days of being skunked.

And what goes around, comes around. I bumped into one of the guys up in Pittsburg NH this spring. He hooked me up with a fly pattern and spot that was working for land locked salmon in one of the smaller - harder to get to spots. My buddy bagged 4 nice salmon. I didn't land anything, but had 6-7 hookups. I was having equipment issues and a pulled muscle in my right arm- so fly fishing was probably not the best idea...

But I will say, most of the guys are pretty helpful out on Ontario. You have the handful that aren't, but the majority are good guys.

We had a fire on the boat a couple of years ago. Before we were done dousing the back of the boat with the extinguishers, we had one guy hooked up to our bow and ready to tow us back in and another group of guys off the back with extinguishers and life jackets in hand if we had to jump. They saw the smoke and just reacted. And I am grateful for that.

So don't let one SOB at a sporting goods store make you think that fisherman aren't a good group of guys....

rdebadts, I have often said those who won't share ANY info are just plain not confident in themselves or fishing ability. Yankee is right, this is probably the best site for any info over a sporting goods store. Anyone who reads my fingerlakes posts knows I am very willing to help others catch fish or get started in the sport. Lake Ontario has been somewhat of a problem with our boat and consistency for salmon since we do not get to get out there but only 7-10 times a year, and this site does help alot. Piece of info,I went to an area sporting goods store a while back looking for flasher rigs and was led to WORM HARNESSES by a "qualified" employee :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you want sales people who know something about fishing, go to the local shops. Very few real fishermen work in the big box stores.

Over the years I've come to believe that most eye fishermen are very tight lipped. They'll brag, show pictures but won't reveal much more. Albeit, we have quite a few on this board that are confident in their skills and are very willing to share good info to help other members out.

BTW, according to the DEC, the Genny and I-Bay are very underutilized eye fisheries.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

if you need any info on the walleye fishing on oneida lake let me know, I have been fishing lake ontario mostly this year but i can give you some info if you need it. I think i would have spoken with that guys manager at dicks and told him the deal. I had a guy last weekend ask me at gander mountain where the worm harnesses were because there was no employees anywhere around the fishing department. I went in there one day and asked a guy if they sold speed and temp sensors there and he had no clue what i was talking about!! I went in last fall and asked for a duck stamp and the guy had no idea, called a manager for me and then told me they had no duck stamps, just migratory game bird stamps............. makes you really want to go there to buy stuff doesnt it?????????

I fish Lake Erie mostly and there is a new word that is thrown around all the time now, spotburning. I have to hand it to everyone that posts on here, you are all willing to help others and realize that the info you give will not "hurt" yourself. If no one else says it I will, THANK YOU!

It has gotten so bad here that a friend that I have taken fishing on my boat for the last 15 years is now giving me false info or none at all. He thinks I'll "catch his fish". Guess what, it's a public lake and a whole lot of it, you don't own it. Oh, as a side note. Guess who isn't getting an invite this weekend now that his boat is DOA. :)

Certainly report this to that "salesman's" (or should that be "salesmorons's") manager! There are plenty of good hard working people out there that would love to have his job. Even if he didn't want to share his "secrets" he had no right to respond in that way!

The mere existence of this website would indicate that we are good stewards of our lake.

The motto of this site is "We make good fishermen even better" ;)

We all started as salmon fishing newbies at one point & appreciate any info to help us enjoy our time on the water. It's a different type of fishing with varied techniques & we're always learning from each other.

Its been like that for walleye, it will always be like that for walleye. I guess that's the thing I enjoy most about fishing for eyes. The challenge. Walleye can humble you real quick. One day you they you have them dialed in and the next you don't move a rod. That is the beauty of them. Salmon, browns, I'd share everything but sometimes I'm a lil tight lipped on eyes. I see nothing wrong with that. When you stalk a deer you don't run and tell strangers what patch of woods. The hunt is most of the fun

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Ray,

So they won't give out Seneca perch spots but will still help you by adjusting your back (strung by toes, like those inversion thingies on tv) and will give you a hot meal (mmm fish head soup, done right I heard it's excellent). we're all here to help each other. :lol:

I might not give out all the info for walleye spots but will give people info on where to start. On oneida the north side of seneca shoals was hot for me last year with deep diving rapalas.

I never want real specific info- just basics to get me going. Ilike to figure the rest out myself. But saying something like "on the north east end in 25 feet" tells me a lot but still really gives up nothing...

And you are so right about seneca lake perch! I can never get ANYTHING!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I learn something over the yrs when fishing at the oak when going for breakfeast in the morning when all the charter capt are there at the diner they always ask how you did and if you would say alright or so so they would give you a tip or put you on fish from the day before or tell you to what lure or setup is working best for them but when fishing the east end of the lake forget it you'll get no help at all nothing it seems there is a whole different attitude or two different world's from the east end to the west end!!!!