Navionics Question about new chip

Guys,

I've called around to EVERY tackle dealer around the Niagara/GTA area looking for someone who stocks the Navionics Fish n Chip Fish-G. Nobody seems to know what it is. Every dealer out there is telling me the Fish n Chip was given away free with the Great Lakes 2XG chip. This is true. However........they changed the Fish n Chip in Mar of 2010 and upgraded it so that the contours are in 1ft intervals, revealing great bottom detail of the entire great lakes. This chip is not the old free one.

Check out the link below.

http://www.navionics.com/MarineFeatures_FishNChip.asp

Why is nobody stocking this? It is strictly a fishing chip, and has reduced amounts of navigational aids. But for bottom contours, it clearly appears better than the 2XG chip that everyone uses around here? Anyone using this new chip?

I've found that in order to see the "high def" contours on these chips, you have to zoom in so much as to be useless unless you're actually sitting right on top of the structure anyway. Highly overrated. Not so accurate either, particularly near sharp changes; for example, Long Point on Seneca...the new chip had me in 70 fow when I was sitting in five. Generally great tools, but I'd argue that one foot intervals might not be worth an upgrade. Just my opinion.

gator

Hey Ray,

My point exactly! What's the use of 1' contours if you're fifty yards away from the structure and you have to zoom to maximum level to see it? It's better to stay zoomed out, get the big picture, then use your sonar and your head to identify the "fishy" water. If someone tells me there's a six-foot hump in an area the size of a football field, I'll find it pretty quick.

At least Navionics chips are better than the factory loaded Lowrance maps...we were over land in Canada one time while running the Niagara river...I actually had to check under the boat to make sure the water was still there :D

Gator

Well, I found the answer to my own question guys. I went and bought the regular 2xg chip that covers the great lakes. Navionics NOW INCLUDES the brand new Fish n Chip with the great lakes chip. You just have to send in your proof of purchase and they mail it to you free.

It's not the old Fish n Chip, it's the new one that was released in Mar 2010.

See, sometimes it's just easier to figure things out yourself rather than put a question up on the board and have a bunch of guys with nothing better to do than stare at a computer screen debate the merits of something that you didn't ask about in the first place :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Happens all the time. Glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing.

Gator

Ray,

I'm changing your slogan to "Always Causing Trouble or Never Having Fun !!!" :rofl:

I like it.

Hijack over...but I still think one-foot contours are overkill.

Gator